Do I have to remember command syntax for CCNA test?

workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
I feel I have trouble to remmeber a long command like this. At least I need the ? at the command prompt to get them correct. Do I have to remember these long command syntax for the CCNA exam?

R2(config)#ip nat pool R2POOL 209.165.202.128 209.165.202.130 netmask 255.255.255.252
R2(config)#ip nat inside source list R2NAT pool R2POOL overload

Comments

• smcclenaghansmcclenaghan Member Posts: 139
    Yes, you should be very familiar with the CLI.

You can use the ? during sims and it will help if you forget a few things (you won't memorize every command) but there are plenty of non-sim questions which will make you guess between correct and incorrect formats of the CLI. You'll be at a disadvantage if you don't know it.
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Practice NAT a lot and do not rely on ?. TAB is fine so know the order and the first letters of the commands at the very least.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CCNA is not a brute force memorization test. You should be practicing on gear. When you do that, what is and isn't a valid syntax is a lot easier to deduce.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    Practice NAT a lot and do not rely on ?. TAB is fine so know the order and the first letters of the commands at the very least.

Tab worked for you? It was disabled for me (and said so in the sim instructions), for the 640-816.
    CCNA is not a brute force memorization test. You should be practicing on gear. When you do that, what is and isn't a valid syntax is a lot easier to deduce.

I kept a notebook of common commands which were likely to come up and which were good for solving common problems. And yeah. Gear is a huge help if you can afford it.

Dieg0M mentioned NAT. I'd agree. NAT and access-lists were the two biggest sources of syntax oriented questions but there were others. Interface options... encapsulation options... you might be asked to choose between syntactically correct/incorrect statements.
  • workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
    R2(config)#ip nat pool R2POOL 209.165.202.128 209.165.202.130 netmask 255.255.255.252

I have a question about this command. Do we usually get the IP range and netmask from ISP? In this case the IP range is from 209.165.202.128 to 209.165.202.130, and the netmask is 255.255.255.252. Is netmask the subnet mask to be used with the IP range?
  • steveyeungsteveyeung Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    209.165.202.128 is not a valid ip address, its a network address.
    so it cannot be used for nat.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    It doesn't matter where the addresses come from. Since you're using Public IPs in this example, the addresses "may" come from a service provider. A quick and dirty look didn't reveal who this IP was, and most Google results return CCNA questions :/
    209.165.192.0/19 - bgp.he.net

Yes, the netmask is referring to the IP range.

This may be the reference you're looking for:
    IP Addressing: NAT Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS Release 12.4T - Configuring NAT for IP Address Conservation* [Support] - Cisco Systems

Please see this page, for command syntax:
    Cisco IOS IP Addressing Services Command Reference - ip dhcp-client network-discovery through ip nat sip-sbc* [Support] - Cisco Systems
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • SysnetNotesSysnetNotes Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Make sure you know the syntax.When i took CCNA exam "?" and "tab" keys are not working for all[ simulations.For some simulations,you must write the whole command.