Options

Code Fellows anybody? Seattle Campus.

Came across this early today, looks pretty cool.

https://www.codefellows.org/

I guess you could call it a school, but its more a less 8 week boot camp that teaches you how to code. They guarantee you a development job of 60k + or your money back. The people running it and the program don't sound pretty legit and it intrigues me.

Anybody else heard of this or have any input?
Never stop learning.

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I believe I read about the one in California and heard good things. They make you do a series of tests before they allow you to actually take the course. I believe it was between $10k and $20k, but they did have something like a 90% job placement rate after the fact. I believe they teach Ruby.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    The cost is 9K and the Seattle campus has Python, Ruby, Javascript and one other.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Looks pretty sweet! Thanks for posting
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sounds pretty shady to me. Every time I hear one of these training polaces guaranteeing $60k jobs (why do they always seem to pick this number?) I make sure I stay far away.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are some clear positives here. The salary guarantee is obvious huge. Having a guaranteed way to pay back the tuition is certainly a leg up over any certification or degree, with which you can only have a reasonable or strong expectation of a way to pay back the costs incurred. The choice of entirely functional and high-level languages all but guarantees you'll actually be able to accomplish something with what you learn. The languages in particular are ostensibly being used more predominantly in "hot" areas.

There are some big negatives. It's hard to assign it any value. For a $9K pair of boot camps, is there no cheaper way to learn what they're teaching? The free resources available on the web alone are certainly sufficient, and a small collection of books would be a much smaller investment. The boot camp format might be faster than self-teaching, but $9,000 is a lot of money. It would have to save a tremendous amount of time. As far as the job placement claim, it is hard to say that the boot camp leads to $60K jobs on its own. How many people attend this who are already work in IT fields making $40-50K? Surely such people could find other ways to improve their skills such that they could get to $60K without spending their first year worth of the raise on a boot camp. What are the long-term implications? Do these $60K+ jobs lead to successful careers, or do people tend to get stuck? How do their long-term prospects compare to people who get computer science degrees or other training and credentials? Ultimately, what else could the $9K and time spent have yielded? I would also be extremely leery of the guarantee itself. That's a tall order, for sure.

I am not passing judgement one way or the other. It's definitely something that should be considered very carefully. I will say, somewhat needlessly, that it would make more sense for someone not far into their career to take it. The more credentials, experience, certifications, and salary you have, the less sense it makes to take this, even if it "guarantees" you a commensurate raise. And if you are already established but have specific career goals that involve one or more of these languages, I will always advocate for self-teaching or even taking college courses over expensive bootcamps.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Obviously, I don't know the details, but the job guarantee wording I'd definitely make sure to understand exactly what they are promising. Me, being Mr. Negative, they could find you a 60k job 3000miles away, etc. Now, if they guarantee a local job...
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Looks like some Indian company rubbed off of them. Most of the institutes here offer jobs after courses of any kind. Even the 5 day course !

Now they are calling it Placement Assistance ! 100% Guarenteed though !
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja