examples for session layer in OSI reference model

m4rtinm4rtin Member Posts: 170
Could somebody give me few real-life examples of session layer(layer 5 in OSI reference model). I'm aware that session layer is responsible for establishing, maintaining and closing sessions between remote applications, but are there any good real-life examples which will explain how session layer works?

Comments

• SysnetNotesSysnetNotes Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    An example of a session-layer protocol is the OSI protocol suite session-layer protocol, also known as X.225 or ISO 8327. In case of a connection loss this protocol may try to recover the connection. If a connection is not used for a long period, the session-layer protocol may close it and re-open it.

Other examples of session layer implementations include Zone Information Protocol (ZIP) – the AppleTalk protocol that coordinates the name binding process, and Session Control Protocol (SCP) – the DECnet Phase IV session-layer protocol.

Source: Wiki
  • m4rtinm4rtin Member Posts: 170
    An example of a session-layer protocol is the OSI protocol suite session-layer protocol, also known as X.225 or ISO 8327. In case of a connection loss this protocol may try to recover the connection. If a connection is not used for a long period, the session-layer protocol may close it and re-open it. Other examples of session layer implementations include Zone Information Protocol (ZIP) – the AppleTalk protocol that coordinates the name binding process, and Session Control Protocol (SCP) – the DECnet Phase IV session-layer protocol.Source: Wiki
    Ok, but those all seem to be very old protocols? And I'm still struggling to understand what role those protocols play.. Do they create connections using TCP, UDP or some other transport layer protocol between the hosts?