Options

Any recommendations on a lightweight Python IDE?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am running SUSE on a VM and wanted to install a lightweight IDE on the box for a Python class I have coming up. (Yes Coursera is addictive)!

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am using Eclipse across languages more and more, but I wouldn't call it lightweight. I would probably just use Emacs if I didn't want to deal with Eclipse. Maybe someone who does more Python on Linux will have a better answer, however.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    I want to steer clear of Eclipse, it's not lightweight at all. I am taking a beginner programming (Python) class and just want the bare minimum for now. Thanks PT for the follow up.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IDLE comes bundled with Python. I've been using it on a Raspberry Pi with no issues. Not many features but it gets the job done.
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Notepad++

Works great for me. You can set up a shortcut so you can run your code directly from Notepad++ as well, which is nice. Debugging is rather lacking compared to IDLE.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    I'm a fan of Notepad++, but it's a Windows program.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Whiteout wrote: »
    Notepad++
    This. Or, a couple of my programer friends swear by Sublime Text: The text editor you'll fall in love with I use vim or gedit on linux, both give you some color coding and help make sure your basic syntax is correct. Many of the classes/sites on python recommend not using an IDE.
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Notepad++, but it's a Windows program.
    Opps, guess I should of read the original post a little better. Still could run it in using Wine. I have never done so, but I would assume that it works.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    He's using SUSE as a VM which I feel safe in assuming is running on a Windows host. Using WINE in his Linux VM on his Windows computer just to use Notepad++ would be silly at best.

Google tells of many Python-specific IDEs, but my theory is that as long as you're learning Linux and Python at once, you might as well learn Emacs.
  • Options
    You can edit on windows and save, copy/paste to VM pretty easy as well, rather then wine. Gedit isn't to bad if you want a GUI on Linux, or just kick it old school with vim. Sublime looks pretty cool to, so I will be checking that out as well - it runs on windows/mac/linux.
  • Options
    KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    wes allen wrote: »
    This. Or, a couple of my programer friends swear by Sublime Text: The text editor you'll fall in love with I use vim or gedit on linux, both give you some color coding and help make sure your basic syntax is correct. Many of the classes/sites on python recommend not using an IDE.

I second Sublime recommendation.
  • Options
    He's using SUSE as a VM which I feel safe in assuming is running on a Windows host. Using WINE in his Linux VM on his Windows computer just to use Notepad++ would be silly at best.

Google tells of many Python-specific IDEs, but my theory is that as long as you're learning Linux and Python at once, you might as well learn Emacs.

Silly yes, but also fun =) How deep can you go? Run a windows virtual machine inside of your virtual machine so you can run Notepad++... Muhaahahaha
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    RDP from the nested virtual Windows machine to the host Windows machine. Basically, divide by zero.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    RDP from the nested virtual Windows machine to the host Windows machine. Basically, divide by zero.

That is... I mean... I so want to do that now.

Kreken wrote: »
    I second Sublime recommendation.

And I will third Sublime. I do a ton of JavaScript and I use Sublime pretty extensively due to how light it is. But you just can't beat VisualStudio for intellisense.
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use vim & gedit in Linux, for windows it's notepad++ and I Do python/perl/bash all together.
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you can try Geany as well.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great information. The course I am taking is providing an IDE once the class starts, but I wanted to try doing some development on my own (outside of class).
  • Options
    hazizhaziz Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Emacs, of course!
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    vim with syntax highlighting is all you need. It'll even point out your opening and closing braces for you. It just won't auto-complete or provide suggestions.
  • Options
    clodclod Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like Codelobster very much: CodeLobster. It is lightweight and easy-to-use free editor.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I know this is a few months old but I've been using Pyscripter and really like it.

https://code.google.com/p/pyscripter/
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Vim or if I need to test code interactively I use Canopy both seem to do the job ok :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    Anyone use the Python25 exe for the IDE? Just wondering.
  • Options
    wes allen wrote: »
    Sublime looks pretty cool to, so I will be checking that out as well - it runs on windows/mac/linux.

I have been using sublime for almost a year now, and it is great. Not just for python, but all other languages I have been working with, along with yaml/config files as well. Even use it for general note taking. Fast, tabbed, and powerful = well worth the price.
  • Options
    Disas_mainDisas_main Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like PyCharm, there's free version of it it's multi-platform. I had never use something else (only nano a few times) to program on Python.
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    I use NetBeans for most of my coding, I don't know how "light-weight" it is though.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410