Options

Powershell and Python books

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
I'm looking for some advice on Powershell and Python scripting books. In particular, I want to get ones that explain the them from novice on up. I have had only one programming class in college so I'm not well versed in programming.

Comments

• Options
    clouderclouder Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was eyeballing "Learn Windows PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches" by Don Jones, myself. Looks to have good reviews, but may need a supplemental book for just scripting.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hello World!: Computer Programming for Kids and Other Beginners: Warren Sande, Carter Sande: 9781617290923: Amazon.com: Books <---Don't mind the title, the first edition was very good (I got through the first half or so before other things game up)

Think Python: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist <---This covers Python from more of a computer science point of view

TheNewBoston - Free Educational Video Tutorials on Computer Programming, Adobe Software, Computer Science and More! <---He has several videos on Python, short and sweet

Python for Pentesters and Hackers « SecurityTube Trainings <---Great video series and certification
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    I see that the latest Think Python book is available in PDF for free. Very Nice!
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yup, I printed it out and put it in a binder.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For the basics of PowerShell the Month of Lunches book is really good. I would also suggest the Tool Making in a Month of Lunches.

This one is free: The Big Book of PowerShell Gotchas (free) | PowerShell.org

And then get the PowerShell Deep Dives book. And from there application specific books or books specifically focused on automation would be a good next step.
  • Options
    NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the basics of PowerShell the Month of Lunches book is really good.

I concur. Great book, got me up to speed quickly.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Take the following with a grain of salt, because I haven't actually read the book I'm about to recommend. I'm more recommending an approach, and based on Amazon reviews, I think this book is the best route to this approach.

Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science is the approach I'd recommend. There are a dozen other good books on Python or PowerShell, and at least as many free online tutorials, but the majority come at this from the wrong approach, which is teaching you PowerShell or Python. Learning PowerShell or Python, specifically, is a good goal if you're about to do something useful with them. Since you're more looking to gain a skill, my strong recommendation is that you learn programming using Python, rather than learning Python, specifically.

While in the process of learning Python (or PowerShell, or Java, or C, or anything) you are certain to derive programming concepts from the lessons and if you're creative, figure some of them out intuitively. However, working through material designed to teach those concepts, specifically, is going to be the best, fastest way to learn them. Python happens to be an excellent way to learn programming concepts, and you will pick up a very useful language in the process.

PowerShell is great, but I don't think it's as well-suited to this purpose. It's also much more limited in scope and usefulness. When you learn PowerShell, half of what you're really learning is Windows systems administration. That's great, but learning the programming concepts first will enable you to write better PowerShell scripts, faster, and to greater effect than just learning PowerShell to learn PowerShell. So, my advice is to start with the learn-Programming-via-Python approach and if you still see an imminent career benefit to learning PowerShell, go from there.

FWIW, I am extremely proficient in PowerShell, but I've never taken a course or read a book on it. I know programming concepts and I know Windows. Technet and Google teach me all the PowerShell cmdlets and syntax rules I need, when I need them. True, knowing them off-hand is more efficient, but knowing the programming concepts before trying to learn it is also more efficient. Also worth noting is that the first language I ever learned was Python, ten years ago. I don't remember any Python syntax, but I learned concepts that led me to easily pick up VBscript, BASH, PowerShell, Java, and more when I needed them. Python was truly a fantastic starting point.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For Powershell I would go with the Don Jones "Learn Windows Powershell in a Month of Lunches" books, even if you want to spend less money and buy the older books, the fundamentals will still teach you enough. I don't know of any Python recommendations. I would suggest this, if you are going to be working primarily with Windows/VMware or anything that can be used with Powershell, I would suggest just concentrating one of the scripting technologies, Powershell in this case. Even though the basics of loops, conditionals, objects, etc, will be somewhat the same, you can easily concentrate on only Powershell and you'll be able to use that knowledge to use technologies that you may not be familiar with because of the way Powershell works.

Also, the basics of Powershell are relatively easy to learn, but you can get quite advanced and write some very long and powerful scripts, of course, I'm somewhat partial to Powershell, so my advice is a little biased. Good luck.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I would definitely also recommend Learn Python the Hard Way, and possibly The Khan Academy's Computer Science courses if you're a little newer to coding and scripting. That's about as far as my Python knowledge goes. As for PowerShell, well. . . you could try some of these. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    This is great stuff. Thanks everyone!

@Slowhand: Thanks. I completely forgot about Khan Academy.
  • Options
    So I finally found something that worked for me: Python3 Tutorial: Sequential Data Types My biggest struggle with Python has been the syntax differences between Python 2 and 3. It's easy to Google something and find an answer. It's an entirely different thing to Google something and find it in the version you you are using :P

Powershell is cool and something I have been trying to regularly use at work to keep fresh.

I've come to agree with this saying: "If you have to do it more than once it should be scripted." The cool thing about scripting is that it helps reduce human error and give you time focus on other things that need more attention.
  • Options
    Getting back into Python. I'm making a commitment to get a firm grasp on it this year. Any advice on an IDE that lets you code in one window and have a CLI in another Windows?
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I picked up Mike Dawson's book as well as "Violent Python", hoping to tackle them both this year.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    I picked up Mike Dawson's book as well as "Violent Python", hoping to tackle them both this year.

After I get comfortable than Violent Python will be my next read :) I really want to get to that, but I know I know I'm not ready.
  • Options
    colby_arcolby_ar Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Any advice on an IDE that lets you code in one window and have a CLI in another Windows?

PyCharm is by far the best IDE for Python.
  • Options
    brandonjustinbrandonjustin Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Byteknack provides all the books and coding in a easy way.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Udemy has good courses you should look at. Right now you can get the courses for 10-15$ normally they are over $200.

Learning Windows Powershell
    https://www.udemy.com/learning-windows-powershell/

Complete Python Bootcamp: Go from zero to hero in Python
    https://www.udemy.com/complete-python-bootcamp

Python for Offensive PenTest: A complete Practical Course
    https://www.udemy.com/python-for-offensive-security-practical-course

The Python Mega Course: Build 10 Real World Applications
    https://www.udemy.com/the-python-mega-course

Also No Starch pres, has a 50% discount code. You can pick up BlackHat or GrayHat python from there.
    https://www.nostarch.com/catalog/security
    Use code RSAREADING at checkout.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX