Options

Cause of a security certificate error

teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
I ran across a question worded similarly to the following:

Chrome: "This is probably not the site you are looking for! You attempted to reach _____, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as _____. This may be caused by a misconfiguration on the server or by something more serious. An attacker on your network could be trying to get you to visit a fake (and potentially harmful) version of _____. You should not proceed."

Firefox: "_____ uses an invalid security certificate." or "The certificate is only valid for the following names: _____"

Internet Explorer: "The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address."

Which of the following could cause any of the browser errors above:
A) An expired self-signed certificate
B)https://127.0.0.1 was used instead of https://localhost
C) The website is using a wildcard certificate
D) The website's certificate is not in the browser's trusted CA store

I hadn't seen this in any of my studies and guessed the question incorrectly (guessed 'C'). I ended up finding the following articles that helped:
Now it makes sense that a "Unified Communications Certificate" would prevent the error and that the correct answer is 'B'.

If you found this useful, please add to my reputation by clicking on the small sheriff's badge icon to the lower left. :D
If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D

Comments

• Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your first link gives you the answer to that, don't focus so much on the actual data but rather what the options are telling you in the answer options related to this section:

If your website is secured by a certificate with the name Example Domain you will receive this error if you connect using any of the following names:
    • example.com
    • example.local