OSPF issue/question

uneeqstylezzuneeqstylezz Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
**frame relay and OSPF working fine**
3 routers in total being used
R1= FRS (hub)
R2,R3 = spoke routers

Serial0 on FRS connects to R2
Serial1 on FRS connects to R3

on the FRS, I have set up a sub-interface under Serial1 as a point-to-point link for frame relay
from both R2 and R3, I am unable to ping the loopback or the ip address assigned to that sub interface.
i believe it is because i have no route on the FRS to direct frames from R2 or R3 to this sub interface?

is this possible?

Comments

• Options
    smcclenaghansmcclenaghan Member Posts: 139
    I don't recall using subinterfaces when I set up this lab (on the FRS I mean, but I used them on the other two routers).

I don't think you should even be setting up an IP address on the FRS (if you did a similar lab as I did). I think the IPs are only configured on the subinterfaces of R2 and R3.

Can you paste your configs?
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What he said. The Frame Relay Switch should not have any IP Addresses or subinterfaces. If I remember correctly

FRS(config)#frame-relay switching
    FRS(config)#interface Serial0
    FRS(config-if)#encapsulation frame-relay
    FRS(config-if)#no ip address
    FRS(config-if)#clock rate 64000
    FRS(config-if)#frame-relay route 102 interface Serial1 101
    FRS(config-if)#interface Serial1
    FRS(config-if)#encapsulation frame-relay
    FRS(config-if)#no ip address
    FRS(config-if)#clock rate 64000
    FRS(config-if)#frame-relay route 101 interface Serial0 102

frame-relay route <DLCI> interface <OUTGOING INTERFACE> <DLCI GOING IN THE OTHER DIRECTION>

Configuring a Cisco Router as a Frame Relay Switch > Cisco Frame Relay Configurations
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    uneeqstylezzuneeqstylezz Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yes both of my serial interfaces on the FRS do not have an ip address assigned to them EXCEPT the sub interface.
    i guess what i was trying to do was have the sub-interface be considered as another DTE/spoke router where it could be a neighbor in my OSPF config and have it set as a DROTHER.
    ended up taking it off.
    i guess you really need 4 routers instead of just 3 to do this?
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've read that you can use one router as both the Frame Relay Switch and a DTE, but in those examples two serial ports [on the same router] were connected together. I don't know if it would work with subinterfaces or not. You would probably need at least 4 serial ports on the FRS to pull this off.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]