Options

Resume: List 2 jobs same company??

Yesterday I accepted a new position at my current job in a junior Windows admin/ network role. However, I still would like to show my current job because it was a helpdesk role and I accomplished some really good things while in that role. How you guys handle this? Normally I would put down my highest role at a particular job.

Comments

• Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    santaowns wrote: »
    Yesterday I accepted a new position at my current job in a junior Windows admin/ network role. However, I still would like to show my current job because it was a helpdesk role and I accomplished some really good things while in that role. How you guys handle this? Normally I would put down my highest role at a particular job.
    First, congrats! Second, how different are your duties in this new position? If vastly, Id say you are well within your rights to list both positions on a resume. I would list your helpdesk as if it was a previous job, then list the new position as your current job. Make sure the dates provide continuity, so any dingbat filtering resume's can see that you obviously were promoted from within to this new role.
  • Options
    redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've come across this issue with several people I've helped transition out of the military, as well as in my own life in separate contract engagements while working with the same company, and I have to say, it is very "case by case basis".

In some instances, I've done:
    Company Name
    Billet / dates
    Accomplishments

Billet / dates
    Accomplishments

As my resume has gotten larger and I need to focus on keeping it under 2 pages while still expressing all points, I list either what my business card says ("Associate", "Senior Consultant", "Information Systems Security Engineer", etc) or my highest billet reached in the case of not having business cards, and use a modified PAR format for addressing the full scope of duties handled (EDIT: ) throughout multiple positions.

Personally, I generally advise against listing them as two entirely separate jobs (listing the company name more than once) as resume space is always at a premium.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Personally I think it is a good idea to show progression in the organization. It shows that you are being promoted for doing a good job, and that you are worth moving up the chain. Just my thoughts! :)
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    I worked for Sprint for 6 years, and every 2 years I progressively improved my position within the company. Started as a customer service rep, to a tier 1 technician, to a customer service coach, and eventually a network engineer. Hiring managers like to see steady, vertical progress.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes I would put both.
    Shows progression and fills in time gaps.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As others as recommended, adding different jobs and roles at the same company is quite the norm. I would also add that even if the job is a horizontal change, it could be valuable to add. For example, if you were a network administrator and then changed jobs to be a system administrator.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went from helpdesk to sysadmin at my current employer and plan to put both on my resume.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens