Options

How does one prepare for a help desk Role Need Advice???

goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
I don't want to do this for ever, but would like to get some IT Experience on my resume. So far I have earned a CCNA, and a CCENT.

What material do I need to look over to better be prepared in case I get a help desk phone interview. I can definitely have a conversation about the networking, but if you start asking about Windows 7 or anything non network, I would have to look it up icon_smile.gif? I understand each help desk position will require something different.

I do build custom computers for myself, but nothing more.
IS there a Windows7 and 8 Certification icon_smile.gif?

MY Background

Customer Service/Technical Support Agent
The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs

Comments

• Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A+ would be a good place to start for help desk level knowledge but if I were you I would try to get into a NOC job or if it has to be help desk, try getting a help desk job with an ISP.
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing W Stewart. There are so many things I want to learn , but the problem is I would forget that information if I never practiced what I learned.

I guest for now what ever is required for that position, I will just have to cram for that interview. I'm keeping a detailed list of employers and whats expected of me.

for now I will continue to look over my notes and lab my CCNA.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As a heads up, i would start watching the Professor Messer A+ videos to get the foundation needed for break fixes. That will get you going for studying something other than networking. You won't typically be doing much of any networking as a Help Desk.

You need to make sure your soft skills are down. I mean, rock solid. Help Desk is entry level and can often mean sitting at your desk answering call after call and escalating tickets so you need to be able to communicate both over the phone and via email. IvanJam listed some good certifications to look into for directing your studys beyond the A+.

Might i recommend that since you have your CCNA, why not look for a NOC or network engie job?
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    The 70-680, 70-685, and 70-686 are all Windows 7 oriented. The 70-680 is the typical first W7 cert to get but do not take it lightly...there is a lot covered on the exam.

But, if you've earned the CCNA then that shows to an extent that you have the capacity to get the 70-680.

Building computers shows some A+-level competency. I would explore things beyond the hardware and OS installation like Task Manager/Resource Monitor, Event Viewer, Disk Management, Services, command prompt (and network-oriented troubleshooting cmd commands), msconfig, gpedit...each one of these is a topic in their own right but will get you going on the right path.
  • Options
    Definately looking for a NOC position as well. Just need to find one I qualify for

last 30 days been looking up and down the East coast...
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The best way to prepare for help desk is to plan your escape. What state are you in and what states are you considering? I know a NOC in tampa florida that's trying to add more people. I left because I felt like the manager was incompetent but it's still experience and they hired another guy straight out of college with not experience and a CCNA along side me.
  • Options
    Since I havn't been every where I am considering the East cost.. Trying to avoid high cost of living areas. It seems like that is were are the jobs are.. Most of the jobs seem to be in the DC Metro area and Baltimore, MD area

I'm thinking Atlanta Metro area, Raleigh/Durham Metro area, Research Triangle Park, Charlotte ..

IS Salary.com Calculator preety accurate to reflect cost of living.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Get chased by running face-painted natives while reading "War and Peace" to someone on another continent over a cell phone.

Seriously, some days on a help desk might feel like that. More succinctly, finish a cert or two and apply.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers