Options

To add or not to add my GPA on my resume..help

gchild00gchild00 Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
Ok so I have been helping people with their IT needs (pro bono) for about 7 years and I really love to do that. However, my education has always been business related until I decided to make the switch to finally focus on getting into a professional role in IT (I got tired of the paper chase and decided to focus on something I actually enjoy). I sent my resume over to a friend who serves as a desktop manager and says that he has hired and let go of a lot of people during his experience. I had him look over my resume and he mentioned that my lack of professional IT experience is going to hurt me and that I should play up to my education some more. I agreed with him. So here are my GPA for my programs and was wondering if that may make a difference in me at least getting a second look from recruiters:

MBA 3.7
Bachelors Information technology/ information security 3.9 (two more classes to go)
Bachelors in Finance 2.7 (this is what concerns me and was wondering if I should leave it off..first time away from home I was immature and it was party time icon_cheers.gif)
Associates in Business administration 3.7

So should I include my GPA's at all? Include all of them except the 2.7? Or just leave off the GPA?

I'm typically looking for something entry level but hope that they can see my potential to grow in their organization.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I say dont list any of them and no one is probably going ask. It is not going to set you apart or even distinguish you from other candidates. Like your friend said what is going to set you apart is your lack of experience. I believe what he meant when he said play up your education was list the specific IT classes you have taken.

I would also leave the MBA and Finance degree off your resume. They will not not help you land a position and may even make you appear over qualified. The one exception might be if you are applying for a position in IT support at a financial institution.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    I say dont list any of them and no one is probably going ask. It is not going to set you apart or even distinguish you from other candidates. Like your friend said what is going to set you apart is your lack of experience. I believe what he meant when he said play up your education was list the specific IT classes you have taken.

I would also leave the MBA and Finance degree off your resume. They will not not help you land a position and may even make you appear over qualified. The one exception might be if you are applying for a position in IT support at a financial institution.

Thanks iBrokeIT, I was actually considering leaving off the MBA and Finance degree for that same reason but do you think that recruiters would consider that as not telling the truth? It would make sense for me to leave it off for reasons that you mentioned because I'm essentially looking for a career reboot. Although like you mentioned some things from my prior education would apply depending on the type of job I am looking for. My next question then is I have a linkedin profile as well that list all my education; should I take the MBA and Finance off of there too for consistency?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So should I include my GPA's at all?
    Are you kidding? A 3.7/3.9 GPA is higher than average, and will distinguish you vs. other new graduates. You should definitely include this on your resume, as it increases your chance of being interviewed.
    I say dont list any of them and no one is probably going ask.
    True. If someone doesn't list them, I just assume they have a below average GPA. People tend to play-up their strengths and play-down their weaknesses. The rare times I've investigated unlisted GPAs they've tended to be lower.

Some will care. In those cases, you've improved your chances of an interview. Some won't care. In those cases, you haven't harmed your chances of an interview. The multiple high GPAs do more to help you, especially since you have a strong one related to IT, than the one lower one in the unrelated field of finance. This assumes you want an IT job!
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think leaving it on LinkedIn without your GPAs listed is fine for all of your degrees. I personally tailor my resume to each specific job I am applying for as well as having a general resume that I put on sites like Dice and send to recruiters. No, its not considered not telling the truth. It is all about how you want to present yourself as a candidate. If someone asks certainly don't lie about anything in your past but its probably unlikely that they will.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gchild00 wrote: »
    Thanks iBrokeIT, I was actually considering leaving off the MBA and Finance degree for that same reason but do you think that recruiters would consider that as not telling the truth?
    I would consider it not telling the truth (lying) and disqualify you if any false facts appeared on your resume. Including what is most beneficial to you, and excluding what is least beneficial to you, is expected and the status quo.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is definitely a tricky one. Leaving off your finance degree would make sense if you hadn't earned your MBA. That MBA didn't come from nowhere, however, so you can't just ignore it.

I would leave off the GPAs for your first two degrees. Just list your most recent degrees. While omitting GPA can leave the impression you had a bad GPA, I would just as quickly ignore them since they're past degrees. Your MBA and your BS are what matter most now, so it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Overall, I wouldn't get too worried about it. You'll have two great degrees with great GPAs. I doubt anyone is going to care you got a 2.7 in your old finance degree. Edit: It probably doesn't even make sense to list your associate's at all, good GPA or not. Just my opinion. Nothing wrong with it, but it's a subset of a subset of your MBA and doesn't really add anything at this point. Just takes up space.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Didn't you graduate at least magna cum laude? Just list that without listing the actual GPA. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Are you kidding? A 3.7/3.9 GPA is higher than average, and will distinguish you vs. other new graduates. You should definitely include this on your resume, as it increases your chance of being interviewed.

True. If someone doesn't list them, I just assume they have a below average GPA. People tend to play-up their strengths and play-down their weaknesses. The rare times I've investigated unlisted GPAs they've tended to be lower.

Some will care. In those cases, you've improved your chances of an interview. Some won't care. In those cases, you haven't harmed your chances of an interview. The multiple high GPAs do more to help you, especially since you have a strong one related to IT, than the one lower one in the unrelated field of finance. This assumes you want an IT job!

Thanks NetworkVeteran for the advise, lots of good advise but with no real experience, I think I'm going to include the GPA for the MBA and IT degree. I need whatever I can get in this economy. I realize that even for entry level type of jobs with this economy I'm probably up against experienced IT folks that might have hit a rough patch and need to consider an entry level position to solidify income. My next question, I have an A+ certification and I'm currently working on the Network + how would you identify this on your resume? I'm thinking Network+ (pending) thoughts on this anyone?
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I have a bachelors and a masters.

Not once in any IT interview has any hiring manager asked me for my GPA, what classes I enjoyed or what I though about school.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    I have a bachelors and a masters.

Not once in any IT interview has any hiring manager asked me for my GPA, what classes I enjoyed or what I though about school.

That's true JockVSJock. I've never been in an actual IT interview. However, from your experience do you think listing GPA information if above average for someone without IT experience a good idea or bad idea? Maybe I'm biased because I want to get into the IT field but If I was a recruiter or hiring manager, I would hope says hmm this candidate has no experience but he/she may have a high aptitude to learn this career field fairly quickly and excel. What do you think?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've been asked once, and it was a mandatory field on several applications. However, it usually doesn't come up. It's certainly an asset worth listing when it's high, but I definitely don't think you should be too preoccupied on people asking if it's low. They probably will never ask, and probably won't care regardless.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    gchild00 wrote: »
    That's true JockVSJock. I've never been in an actual IT interview. However, from your experience do you think listing GPA information if above average for someone without IT experience a good idea or bad idea? Maybe I'm biased because I want to get into the IT field but If I was a recruiter or hiring manager, I would hope says hmm this candidate has no experience but he/she may have a high aptitude to learn this career field fairly quickly and excel. What do you think?

Anything can help. If you can, list it on your resume. If they ask, by all means, tell them.

In my case, I worked full-time while going to undergrad and grad school, so I could easily explain why I didn't have a 4.0.

With lack of experience, I would try to show professionalism and enthusiasm during the interview. Also try to show that you have the ability to listen, understand and troubleshoot issues with end users, or softskills. Alot of what is lacking with some IT folks.

Try to steer the conversation towards the 7 years of IT help that you are doing on the side and you realize that IT is your calling. Think of examples that you have done and try to use that in the interview.

By all means, start knocking out more certs too.

Where do you live? If you live in a non-friendly IT city like I used to (Omaha), you'll probably be spinning your wheels for some time and may have to move.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would not leave off your MBA. To even suggest that is ludicrous because if you ever want to end up in a management position they will LOVE if not demand a masters in the future. You can make it clear in your objective and cover letter that you understand your lack of experience puts you in a lower position. Unless you like leaving money on the table...because companies will pay more just on the fact of having a masters. Higher degrees and certifications show you have a higher ceiling.

With that said...you want to have your resume focused on IT related information because that is the type of position you are going for.
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is only one time I listed my GPA on my resume and I was asked about it. My GPA was 3.7 and the IT manager wanted to know what stopped me from hitting a 4.0. Of all the interview study material I went over, I hadn't expected to get asked that. lol I didn't do so well in Economics and I was honest about it. Besides that, for months I had interviews by using my resume without GPA and not a single person asked me about it.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    pamccabe wrote: »
    There is only one time I listed my GPA on my resume and I was asked about it. My GPA was 3.7 and the IT manager wanted to know what stopped me from hitting a 4.0. Of all the interview study material I went over, I hadn't expected to get asked that. lol I didn't do so well in Economics and I was honest about it. Besides that, for months I had interviews by using my resume without GPA and not a single person asked me about it.

I would have said...because I wanted to have a life.
  • Options
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    Anything can help. If you can, list it on your resume. If they ask, by all means, tell them.

In my case, I worked full-time while going to undergrad and grad school, so I could easily explain why I didn't have a 4.0.

With lack of experience, I would try to show professionalism and enthusiasm during the interview. Also try to show that you have the ability to listen, understand and troubleshoot issues with end users, or softskills. Alot of what is lacking with some IT folks.

Try to steer the conversation towards the 7 years of IT help that you are doing on the side and you realize that IT is your calling. Think of examples that you have done and try to use that in the interview.

By all means, start knocking out more certs too.

Where do you live? If you live in a non-friendly IT city like I used to (Omaha), you'll probably be spinning your wheels for some time and may have to move.

JockVSJock I'm currently in San Antonio, TX. There's some IT positions available but we have a large military presence and most IT jobs cater to the military around these parts. Doesn't make it impossible but makes it a little more difficult. I've considered joining the ranks of the military just to get a shot and more experience but I'm getting older, I still meet the age requirement but most recruiters I've spoken with lose their enthusiasm to help me once they find out how close I am to the age limits. However, I don't mind making the drive to Austin, TX which isn't too far away for more opportunities. Yep, I'm trying to get as many certs done as possible to solidify the IT stuff I have done. The few IT managers I have spoken with did tell me my experience in other areas would fit within the IT world because I have over 5 years of building relationships with customers and building loyalty. However, he then quickly mentioned that it would be up to HR to choose who they are going to hire. I've applied and just waiting on a call back.