Options

Very nervoues. IT opening at my hospital need some pointers.

SO this is the requirements :

1. Maintains proper up keeping of assigned: tools, beepers, cellular, computers, laptops, etc..
2. Calls Resolution: First call resolution must be meet by 70%, as established by policy and procedures guidelines.
3. Calls Resolution: Critical, High and medium calls must be meet by 90%, as established by policy and procedures guidelines.
4. Calls Resolution: Request for Service must be meet by 90%, as established by policy and procedures guidelines.
5. Identifies root causes of issues, determines course of action, resolves issues and/or escalates for final resolution in a timely manner.
6. Follows up inventory procedures according to policies and procedures.
7. Delivers on commitments to user community within timeframes established by policy and procedures guidelines.
8. Enters all calls into the Heat system as specified in policies and procedure.
9. Maintains, updates, and improves Network Technician notebook as needed. 10. Provides hardware and software support as needed. Performs basic diagnostic testing.
11. Maintains records on repair, installation, and removal of equipment. Provides appropriate logging and tracking of hardware malfunctions.

The job title is "IT Technical Services Assoc I"

ok so today while I am in vacation. I choose to call my H.R. to see if there were any position on I.T. and they tolled me yes. I spoke to the recuiter. I tolled him that I am currently a employee at the hospital and that I recently got A+ certified. I volunteer at the I.T. department before I got hired at the hospital. He tolled me to send him my resume.

So I was wondering how can I sell myself and whats the pay rate based on the description above.

I am going to put on my resume that I know how to assemble a computer with ESD preventative measures. Remove hardware components like opitical drives, hard drives, ram, cpu, NIC. I can clean a printer with proper material and change toners, paper, ink cartridge.

I have customer service in sales which I have learned to communicate with fellow employees and reach customer satisfaction.

trouble shoot monitors. install various OS like windows XP, Vista, Win7 and update them.
Disassemble a laptop to replace a keyboard and properly handled replacement hardware.

i know you guys cant dig in to my brain but how can I format this on a resume?
1776 is the answer to 1984!

Comments

• Options
    grave_diggergrave_digger Member Posts: 127
    • Proper assemble and handling of hardware.
    • Installing operating systems and software.
    • Cleaning and maintain printers.
    • Use antivirus software for infected systems.
    • Speak and write fluent English and Spanish.
    • Two months volunteering at "Hospital"for the Information Technology Dept.
    the "hospital" part i placed the real name.
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My advice is to go in with confidence knowing exactly what your skills are and where you want to go. If you're willing to learn and are a fast learner, tell them that. Tell them your exact experiences, your interests, where you see yourself in 5 years (truly), and if you have any shortcomings? tell them your plan on how to overcome those shortcomings.

If you tell them all that and they decide to hire you, then you can have confidence knowing that they understand your skills completely and can leave those nerves at the door.

Confidence. Bring your confidence to that interview. Desparation. There's nothing worse than showing desperation in an interview. If you come across as desperate, it can hinder your confidence which in turn can actually make you not as smart as you truly are.

Now, there's nothing wrong with REALLY REALLY wanting a job. In fact, I think you SHOULD want your next job really bad. My point here is to show that you are interviewing them as well. Tell them who you are, and ask them who they are.

Good luck, have fun... and CRUSH it.
  • Options
    I got the interview tomorrow morning!

I got two interviews with the directors of I.T.

wish me luck!
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    My first job was at a hospital as helpdesk. Was a great job and learned a lot!

Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome work - Understand that it's OK to say "I don't know, but here is how I would find out". Additionally you should understand that while you may be relatively green experience-wise, you still have a lot of value to the hospital; you already know the environment/culture and can offer a unique perspective other candidates likely can't match.

Good luck!
  • Options
    thanks guys! Can you guys explain to me what they mean in these following lines?

2. Calls Resolution: First call resolution must be meet by 70%, as established by policy and procedures guidelines.
    3. Calls Resolution: Critical, High and medium calls must be meet by 90%, as established by policy and procedures guidelines.
    4. Calls Resolution: Request for Service must be meet by 90%, as established by policy and procedures guidelines.

Am not sure what they mean by met by a certain percentage.
  • Options
    thanks guys! Can you guys explain to me what they mean in these following lines?

Maybe response and closure times?
    Like when we got an escalated ticket for a hospital I had 15 minutes to response to the doctor and notify the ticket in our ticketing system. From there I had 2 hours to resolve the issue (most issues weren't 2 hour issues or even near that).
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□

"established by policy and procedures guidelines", the percentage is based on your companies SLAs. You'll need to look into that to understand exactly what is being said.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    Maybe response and closure times?
    Like when we got an escalated ticket for a hospital I had 15 minutes to response to the doctor and notify the ticket in our ticketing system. From there I had 2 hours to resolve the issue (most issues weren't 2 hour issues or even near that).
    So what are the consequences if its not resolved with in those two hours?
  • Options
    So what are the consequences if its not resolved with in those two hours?

Well in our case we had a weekly meeting. If the ticket took a little longer we just had a discussion of what happened, why did it happen, etc but wasn't punished or anything like that.

In most cases lets say a PC is having a major issue that a doctor needs. You go up and take a look at it and sure enough this is going to take a while to fix. You go downstairs to the PC LAB get a loaner, put the loaner in place and then you close that ticket out with the status of "Loaner in place, reimaging original machine" and then re-image or fix the original PC then swap it back out when done. Just stuff like that.

I wouldnt worry too much about it as you should hit their percentage fine.
  • Options
    NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    OP,

Fair warning: hospitals are not the greatest employers of IT. I worked at one and well, it is a stepping stone, nothing else. I know others will disagree.

I know this would be your first IT job, and thus getting in the the door is huge. As I read the job description, as it relates to response times etc, it means:

1. IT committed to these times.
    2. Despite any encumbrances you will be blames, and fired, it you fail to meet them.
    3. Expect to get hit from both sides.
    a. Customers who are blaming you for not giving concierge IT service on demand, the way they want it, and how they want it.
    b. From your management for not meeting their exact requirements, and thus covering them on an SLA.

I know this all sounds pretty cynical but as they say, "Hope for the best, plan for the worst, and maybe you'll get something in between."
  • Options
    Nutsy I have to agree but I have seen the salary on some hospitals herw in miami and they seem very competative in pay rate like 15 starting off.

I hope they can offer me something competative like 14 or 15 dollars. I know am starting off but that doesn't mean I shoukd get paid bullshit.

I am worry about pay though. My hospital is notorious for pay very uncompetitive.

I had theee interviews in I.t. and the frist two were great but the director was very simple almost like a drill sergeant. Very fast interview ans simple. I felt my last interview was ok but the first two the interviewers stated that they liked me.

But as for the director not bad but not great either.
  • Options
    Damn they said they would get back at me today and they havent . I hope I get called tomorrow
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    grave_digger:

There is no harm in contacting them for feedback. Just a brief, respectful phone call to inquire should be sufficient. I don't know how your company works, but usually you would contact the HR department for feedback.

Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I am inclined to agree with Nutsy on this one. With the healthcare changes coming down the pipe, Health Information Technology (HIT) has been taking dings just like the rest of the hospital staff. Because we are not medical professionals we are some of the first ranks to be cut. In addition, you will see a lot of unhappy people when doing hospital work. Nurses and Doctors are in high stress situations frequently and when a computer doesn't work the can be a little bit vocal.

That said, you will learn a ton of information. Hospitals use a lot of different tools and programs and you will get to experience that variety. Additionally, once you get into HIT you become unique and specialized. I have had other hospitals gladly interview me without my meeting the experience requirements or degree requirements simply because I have been exposed to the environment.
  • Options
    I emailed the recruiter and he said he got goodfeed back and that his in vacation starting today and that when he gets back next Friday he will check up in the final decision.
  • Options
    Guys based on what you know now about this position. Whats the salary range? I would like to get paid 14 a hour.

I know I am not experienced but I feel that this being I.T. I deserve a decent hourly rate.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    According to PayScale, the typical rate for your new role/skills/location is $15.50/hr.

Of course, their actual package may include a lower rate, but compensate with benefits and bonuses. They may also try to pay you your existing rate and treat this as a simple in-company role transfer.
    I know I am not experienced but I feel that this being I.T. I deserve a decent hourly rate.
    I would keep that answer to yourself, as it won't get you very far.
  • Options
    I tend to find that IT is underpaid in my part of the country... just sayin'.
  • Options
    According to PayScale, the typical rate for your new role/skills/location is $15.50/hr.

Of course, their actual package may include a lower rate, but compensate with benefits and bonuses. They may also try to pay you your existing rate and treat this as a simple in-company role transfer.

I would keep that answer to yourself, as it won't get you very far.
    How reliable is payscale? As to what you qouted me, I agree.

Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    I tend to find that IT is underpaid in my part of the country... just sayin'.
    What country?
  • Options
    USA. I have constantly been below the pay grade for given IT professions. A lot of people are desperate for jobs and will take lower pay, so businesses can get away with poor pay.
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    grave_digger:

There is no harm in contacting them for feedback. Just a brief, respectful phone call to inquire should be sufficient. I don't know how your company works, but usually you would contact the HR department for feedback.

Hope this helps!

H.r. emailed me back. He said that when he gets back from vacation he would check up on the paper work. He also said he got good feedback from I.T. about me.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Awesome keep us updated
  • Options
    Tomorrows Friday so excited.
  • Options
    Wow I have to wait till this Wednesday for the final decision.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Still hoping for the best for you. Keep us posted!
  • Options
    I didnt get the job. Their lost.