Options

Cold & Flu season and the IT proffesional

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I had a thought a few minutes ago when I had to help someone who was sick. There mouse had stopped functioning, and I was plugging in the new one (bracing myself by leaning on and touching all parts of their desk) when I realized they were very sick. Sneezing, coughing, running nose, etc...they probably should not be at work in this condition.

My next stop once I was done putting the mouse in was the bathroom to wash up.

The experience got me thinking though, should I carry a extra mouse & keyboard around for working on client PCs (on top of the usual hand sanitizer, washing up routine)? I think most people would understand the reason for taking that step, to keep me and others from getting sick. But then again, I am very new to IT and dont want to scare or piss off anyone either.

So what do other people do?

Comments

• Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Buckets of instant hand sanitizer, and a lot of vitamin C. icon_thumright.gif
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just show up in a Breaking Bad yellow hazmat outfit. I'm sure they'd understand icon_thumright.gif

For me oddly enough... the worst part of having to work on someones PC at their desk is when you have to sit on their chair and it's STILL WARM... sick!!
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    Just show up in a Breaking Bad yellow hazmat outfit. I'm sure they'd understand icon_thumright.gif

For me oddly enough... the worst part of having to work on someones PC at their desk is when you have to sit on their chair and it's STILL WARM... sick!!

I stand, everytime. I dont miss an opprotunity to walk around, go up/down stairs or stand in place while working lol...I am not cut out for a desk job.

Ill buy one of those Kirkland value size hand sanitizers with the pumper nozzle and keep it on my desk. I think they make a 3/4 gallon size.
  • Options
    ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    Warm seats makes me laugh :) I usually stand or take a knee rather than the person's chair.

I've had a cold this week so I've been trying to do everything remotely without having to help someone in person. I don't carry around my own mouse/keyboard so I do occasionally have to use some nasty ones. It's like people eat finger food and don't wipe or wash their hands first.
    :lol:
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I think the only time you should bring a mouse and keyboard is if YOU are sick. People would likely understand and accept that better than the other way around. Else, the mighty hand sanitizer will work fine.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thankfully we have hand sanitizer dispensers throughout my entire building :)