Options

PHP as a Network Admin?

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello forum.

I just got accepted on a online course at a university in Dublin. The 3 modules are Programming (HTML and PHP), Telecommunications (real low level stuff, magnetism, magnetic flux, logic gates, circuitry) and human interaction with computers.

I'm thrilled with the networking, but found it odd about the programming. This course is suppose to be fairly broad but I have been trying to find if PHP could ever be relevant in a networking admin environment. I have been trying to find what it can bleed into regarding other languages that some network admins find useful to learn but its a real mix of opinions.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Kai.

Comments

• Options
    RouterroninRouterronin Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Kai123 wrote: »
    Hello forum.

I just got accepted on a online course at a university in Dublin. The 3 modules are Programming (HTML and PHP), Telecommunications (real low level stuff, magnetism, magnetic flux, logic gates, circuitry) and human interaction with computers.

I'm thrilled with the networking, but found it odd about the programming. This course is suppose to be fairly broad but I have been trying to find if PHP could ever be relevant in a networking admin environment. I have been trying to find what it can bleed into regarding other languages that some network admins find useful to learn but its a real mix of opinions.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Kai.

Network Admin is such a generic title. Its like being in the army for twenty years and putting soldier on your resume.

I have seen such titles requiring PHP, html5, python, java, perl, and toilet maintenence.
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The title Net Admin can be a broad term nowadays. Typically in the past it refered stritctly to Windows/Server Administration. Some companies require/prefer that you know LAMP (Linux Apache Mysql PHP).

Some of the different positions the can fall under the broad umbrella of the title Net Admin:

Database Administration
    Server Administration
    Linux/Unix Administration
    Web Administration
    Windows Administration
    Vmware Administration
    Network Hardware Administration (routers/switches/etc)
    Etc...

It definitely won't hurt you to learn it, and can give you an edge over competitors.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration