Options

A sort of dilemma

EXAMCCIEEXAMCCIE Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I hope this is the right forum to post this type of thing.

I've worked in IT for around 20+ years starting as a desktop support tech, network admin, systems admin.
Currently I work in a department that is being managed rather stringently, I wont bore you all with the details and I'm sure others have faced the same sort of dilemma, I know there are different styles of management varying from hands off management to hands on management followed by a barrage of questions (micro-management) for lack of a better word.

I have had many complaints from the other members about the new managers style - the phone call after hours asking about this that or the other.

My question is:

For the team members who have the complaints, do I tell the assistant manager and let him tell the upper manager? and risk getting canned?

I have even thought of asking to move to another team out of frustration of the situation. I know that times are tough for all at one time or another so, but this is starting to effect my home life/health as well (not making this up btw).

What would you guys do??

Would you ask for a transfer to the other department to be rid of the stress? or stay in and make the best of it? And for the other team members who are equally effected, the low morale is starting to show and work pace is slowing.

What to do?

Thanks for listening to the ranting bw

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    EXAMCCIE wrote: »
    For the team members who have the complaints, do I tell the assistant manager and let him tell the upper manager? and risk getting canned?
    I would raise your concerns and let others raise their concerns. Your co-workers are adults, too! Also, before you raise complaints to higher-ups, you should discuss them in a 1:1 with your manager when you're both calm. Try to be as specific as possible. E.g., instead of "I don't like how you micromanage me", discuss specifics that bother you and propose alternatives that meet both your needs. "I like how you make it a point to know about what we're doing, but communicating my status throughout the day is bringing down my productivity, and I pride myself on high quality/quantity work! Is there another way we could go about this, say a daily status spreadsheet or a regular 10-minute meeting each day?"

I had a micro-manager once, with whom I worked out a means to work together, for another year anyway.
    Would you ask for a transfer to the other department to be rid of the stress?
    If you can't work out a plan with your manager such that you don't dread your work life, and you have no compelling reason to stay, transferring is a good solution. Some types of personalities just don't mesh well together.