Options

Does "CISCO ASA5505-BUN-K9" have IOS?

sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
Does "CISCO ASA5505-BUN-K9" have IOS for practicing purposes?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The ASA devices have a subset of IOS and are not the same.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think it's more clear to say that ASA and IOS commands are similar in structure and syntax, but ASA and IOS software are not the same thing. Cisco ASA uses software that came from the Cisco PIX era, and the PIX was originally not a Cisco product and was acquired by Cisco in the 90s.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    So it wouldn't help me for CCNA Security?

Do only enterprise editions of ASAs have IOS in them?

If I am confusing terminology for various devices, please teach me.

Thanks.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It would help with CCNA Security, though I don't know that it's completely necessary for that cert. No ASA has IOS, they have their own operating system as docrice explained.
  • Options
    geccogecco Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree that the ASA5505 will be helpful, but its very minor...I would not invest into it, if it were me, as the focus of the exam is IOS security. Spend the money and practice on IOS which is actually quite different than the ASA command line, especially as it concerns things like ACLs, how masks are represented, etc etc. I personally despise how Cisco has not merged these operating systems as it still, after 12+ years of doing Cisco configs, it is still confusing to have (2) separate command sets. Its even more fun when you have to now support old pixes, new ASAs, IOS, IOS-XR, the NX-OS for all things Nexus. Give us a break Cisco!! :)
  • Options
    Then regular IOS operated router woul do for this exam?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    From what I have read CCP and Zone-based firewalls are important. I had to pick up a 1841 with 15.x for these.

I personally looked at it from the stand point of learning and anything to make it more realistic. You will find however most ASA 5505's with a good os are $300+.