Options

Any recommended programming books to cover the basics. Loops, conditions, etc.

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am just looking for a book to reinforce my knowledge of programming which isn't much lol. I am currently working with JavaScript and VBA, but would like to get a mid level book at discusses the theory but also has some practical knowledge to it. If it leans towards a certain language that's okay.

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Head First JavaScript, Head First C#, Head First Java. Take your pick - can't go wrong in the Head First series. Personally, I'd recommend head First C# the most out of the three.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks Carl. Do they provide lessons or practice files to go along with the text?
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Not a book and this has been mentioned in another thread, but Pluralsight has some nice developer video courses at 29.99 per month for access to everything. Pluralsight bought Trainsignal, so that entire catalog is being migrated over too. Good value in my opinion.
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    +1 for Head First.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2 - Yes, there are lots of practice activities, and they are pretty fun! The most memorable one for me is in the C# one, you build a dog race track complete with UI and moving parts. The dogs race and you can place bets.

The best thing about the Head First series, IMO is that you are busy building things like that and having a blast and learning a ton about loops, objects, classes, inheritance, polymorphism, methods, properties, everything.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Another vote for Head First. These books are great! I started using them for every language I want to learn and it's great.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.