Options

max number of resume pages

Hey all,

I am getting to the point where my IT experience is pushing 4 pages on my resume. As of my last job, it was maxed at 3, but adding that job will push it into the 4 page range. Should I start chopping off my oldest experience and stay at 3? My only issue with that is it would be my military experience to go which, like it or not, is a huge selling point in the MD/DC/VA area.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    How many years is this going onto 4 pages? Is it quality information or just filler?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I try to keep mine no longer than 2. Sweet, straight to point. Bottom line, up front.

I use bullets and easy formatting to make it presentable and easy to read.

You have to remember that the people fielding resumes probably get them in droves or might be disconcerted with one that is too long or hard on the eyes.

If you're worried about cutting off your military experience, see if you can squeeze that into your skills.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    People say it depends on how much important / relevant info there is, but I think that's BS. Honestly, it should be as long as people are willing to read, and even then it should be shortened if it makes the resume more appealing.

There is no value in including anything that won't be read by the decision maker. Some mystery isn't a problem if it leads to them calling you. If you think people will read the whole thing, then include as many pages as you think it takes to make the best impression. While all the information on there needs to be accurate, the goal isn't for it to be a prospectus. It's just a sales document to generate phone calls.
  • Options
    reppgoareppgoa Member Posts: 151
    10 years fits on 3 pages, anymore will spill onto a fourth. I think its relevant info. I am not fluffing, I am describing what I did and technology I worked with in bullets. Here are the bullet points from my last job, and all of the others follow the same format:

§ Planned, managed, and implemented complete overhaul of VMware environment. Purchased high-end server equipment to include HP DL580, DL380, and Dell PowerEdge hardware. Migrated existing ESXi 4.0 environment to ESXi 5.1 as well as deploying entirely new VMware infrastructure where none existed before. Converted all existing physical servers to Virtual Machines and reduced overall footprint in the data center by 22%.
    § Conducted home folder audit and restructure of more than 4000 home folders. Took home folder error percentage from over 50% to under 5% using custom PowerShell scripts and custom in-house software written by admin team.
    § Aided in migration from Netapp to Isilon storage systems to include all users home folders, windows shares, and VMware data stores. Played an integral part in the planning, execution, and management of the new storage infrastructure.
    § Interacted with vendors on a daily basis to purchase new equipment as well as maintain existing equipment. Managed warranty accounts/information and acted as sole point of contact for vendors on Windows related issues.
    § Audited existing GPO environment and lead total overhaul and restructure of policies. Was able to completely remedy numerous policy related issues and was also able to reduce number of active security alerts stemming from erroneous and misconfigured policies by 95%.
    § Worked with ISSO to greatly diminish the number of security incidents occurring on windows machines in the environment. Using Tenable Security Center, effectively reduced number of security incidents by as much as 75%.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Looks like good info to me. Do you have a lot of white space? I have over 10 years on mine and it's not even two whole pages. Maybe shorten some of your older jobs down to a couple lines and concentrate on your recent work history.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Are you applying for high level CIO type positions? If not, maybe prioritize and consolidate some more to get it on 2.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have more years of experience, certifications, and did some time at a university--and I can sell myself in a few words, 1-page, or 2-pages. I'm with Pert that selling yourself is not so different from selling products or service.

The shorter, the better, within reason.
  • Options
    thats a good idea, I will look at that. As far as white space. I will just post it up here. I am not too worried about people finding it online as its publicly available anyway.
  • Options
    Right, I could do that too, if I wanted to cut out my military experience. The bottom line is that in my area, its a huge factor and I don't want to be the guy who's dropping that info in a conversation. I want people to see it without me having to hawk it.
  • Options
    reppgoa, here's the nut-shell version of you I learned about after spending 30-60 seconds skimming the first two pages. That may seem harsh, until you realize the average resume gets 10 seconds of attention or less.

The highlighted is what I read. This is what I learned--

Education: I assume some high school?
    Certifications: You say, "Multi-certified technology professional", but do not name any. Perhaps unknown online ones?
    Experience: I get solid meat here--2 yrs help desk, 1 year network engineer, 1 year system administratior
    , if I wanted to cut out my military experience
    I had no idea you were in the military! If only that were displayed more prominently.

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Perhaps you could mention your military experience in your self description there. Since it is still being mentioned on the paper (at the beginning especially) it might create some curiosity in a positive way. I know it would for me, but I am kind of biased because I am prior service and am always interested in hearing/sharing military backgrounds and stories. icon_cool.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Looks like big selling points are hidden on page three, under "Education" and "Technology Summary - Certifications."
  • Options
    Fair points guys, thanks for the info. Gonna work on a rewrite tonight. I will see if I can keep it at 2 pages, I always like a challenge ;)
  • Options
    tombosaucetombosauce Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    FYI, your name is still in the footer.
  • Options
    lol, that it is. Oh well