Options

Disaster recovery for a home PC

Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am doing a disaster recovery plan for my home PC and need some advices.
HomePC setup. System disk is an SSD - only OS and software on it. Data disk is a HDD - photos, documents etc. (all stuff I want to backup).
Backup HW is Transcend’s StoreJet 25M3 (USB 3.0) 1TB. It has 3 (300 GB each) encrypted TrueCrypt files, to which I backup my data. The same backup copy to each of encrypted files. HDD will be kept in an offline location in a different city (family house). All backups for now are strictly manual labor - copy/paste to USB. Copy/paste from USB to HDD in the offline location. Backups are done every 2 weeks.
Questions:
1. Any disadvantages for this setup I should be aware off?
2. Should I add a second offline location with another HDD? My primary backup HDD already failed and was replaced by warranty. So I need to back up a backup?
3. I'm looking for a software, which could compare files in primary HDD and backup HDDs. Any software you have tested and are happy with?
4. I do not plan for a redundant backup - doing incremental copy only. Should I be aware of any downside of this setup?
5. Should I stay with HDD or should I go with SSD? Right now backup size is ~50 GB and I do not plan to go for more than 100 GB. Price wise it is 1 TB HDD or 60 GB SSD.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. Manual is time consuming, and it's possible that you may miss files. I would recommend doing an automated backup, pointing to the specific Drive>Directores(Folders and Files) that you woud like backed up.
    2. The more off-site backups you have, the safer you will be. It certainly doesn't hurt to have a backup of a backup. Just make sure you have it stored in a fireproof/flood proof safe.
    3. Fbackup is a good freeware backup software that I've used for sometime. Has pretty granular settings for incremental, differential, and full backups. There are also several paid softwares that are even better. You can also take advantage of cloud storage backups, such as Carbonite and Dropbox.
    4. I would recommend differential instead of incremental. It may take a bit longer to run, but guarantees that you will backup all modified/new files.
    5. I don't think there is anything wrong with using a traditional HDD, just be careful with transporting it since the spindle-head/platter can be damaged if mishandled.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Does it have to be free software? I've used carbonite before and had no complaints. It was easy and relatively cheap and 100% automated once setup. The only downside was (and it might just be md bring an idiot) I was unable to make back ups of our server config or network settings.
  • Options
    Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for all the advice and propositions.
    Regarding software. Carbonite - we are talking about Carbonite Cloud backup? in that case no. I do not want to use online services. As for Fbackup - I give it a shot.
    Why manual backups? Because between my home and the off-line backup site (family home) we have only simple internet connection. No VPN or smthg. I also would have to ask someone to attach/detach backup HDD every time. So for now I will stay with manual backups. Later will try to automate things.