Options

Need your opinion in regards to a career move.

tecketecke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, earlier this summer I took a move from working as a helpdesk tech/desktop support tech with 9 - 5 hours at a university to a 3rd shift infrastructure operator at an enterprise data center. The reasons I took the job were because of the challenge I believed it would offer, the technologies that I would get exposed to and the 20% increase in salary. Now I have realized that the work here is not that difficult and mostly revolves around monitoring and reporting incidents to the actual tech teams, I am having second thoughts . Also the unfortunate thing I have witnessed is that there are talented people that I work with that have been here for 3+ years that aren't being moved up by management and it is discouraging to witness this in such a progressive IT environment. Never the less I am here to stay for awhile because I am enrolled in school but I simply want your opinion on if this was a good career move or not? or how can I view this more optimistically?

Comments

• Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    It's good for your resume. If your work isn't challenging then challenge yourself on your own time.
    "Most people, they raise a family, they earn a living and then they die. They stop growing, they stop working on themselves they stop stretching, they stop pushing themselves. Then a lot of people like to complain but they don’t wanna do anything about their situation."
    You are studying right now and this is what you should be doing. Keep pushing yourself and when that dream job comes for you then you'll have the knowledge and experience on your resume to get it. Good luck.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Stay at the Data Center, talk to management and explain you could do more, talk to them about attending vendor training, like HP server training, Microsoft OS / Software, Vmware, Cisco, anything really that's in your Data Center. Start scoping out the job you want in the Data center and get closer to the people currently in that role. And when the role you want actually comes open make sure to do two things, 1. Talk to management face to face and explain you would like to be considered and 2. Make sure if it's posted publicly to actually apply. Never assume management knows where you want to go in life and never let them stand behind the excuse they didn't know you were interested.