Options

Government shutdown affecting new job.

pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
So I got a new job and today I went in to turn in some new papers. When I got there HR told me that there was a small issue. Due to the government shutdown they could not verify my eligibility to work here until they reopened and I could not start until that came back. That is fine with me, but the thing is I already gave my employer my 2 weeks notice and my last day is going to be October 12th, so come October 13th if the government has not reopened I am going to be without a job. What should I do?
WGU Complete: September 2014

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Talk with your existing boss, explain the situation, and ask if you can stay a little bit longer . If that doesn't work, then you can either consider a new job, contract or temp work, or just live off savings if you have to.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Hang in there. It would take more than those couple of weeks to find something else.

I also got to sleep in today (wife too) because of the shutdown. A lot of people in the DC area are affected. If it lasts just a few days, it will be a welcome and much needed break. If it lasts several weeks, we might consider becoming street prostitutes.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    hmm. Interesting thought. If it does get extended and people leave for other positions, is that going to make it easy for new people to come in, or will there be such a deluge of new applicants, that the effect is negated?
  • Options
    pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    Hang in there. It would take more than those couple of weeks to find something else.

I also got to sleep in today (wife too) because of the shutdown. A lot of people in the DC area are affected. If it lasts just a few days, it will be a welcome and much needed break. If it lasts several weeks, we might consider becoming street prostitutes.

Lol yes that would be one way to make some extra money as well. I am going to talk to my boss and hope for the best. Hopefully this is all over soon as I was about to put my house up for sale this week and with it affecting loans I don't know if thats going to happen.
    WGU Complete: September 2014
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My cousin and uncle were asked not to come in (both work for the USDA). Their boss said for sure to the end of the week. That's all I got.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Explain to your current boss that you may be able to stay a little longer than what your notice indicated (due to the shutdown), and if that ends up being the case, is there any additional work or knowledge transfer that you can help with? Don't frame it up as though you are coming back desparate, hat-in-hand. Some companies are extremely eager to snip the cord once an employee gives notice, others not as much.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...