Options

Postgraudate Sutdy Dilemma

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to get some of you Senior guys opinion on my current Dilemma.

Last year I graduated from University (obtaining a Bachelors degree in Computer Science) and now am looking at the chance of going back and study at postgraduate level; Hoping to obtain a Masters in Digital Forensics (picking the appropriate papers to specialize in the area of network security/forensics.)

A little about myself - Since graduating from my degree; I found it really hard to progress straight into a Networks Engineer role without any real past experience. I therefore had to go the hard way and got a role as a Service Desk team member in a rather big IT company.

I then worked for around 3 months as an SDA and got approached to assist with the transition of a client from a large rival IT company to ours; I then worked on the Transition for a number of months which was great as it exposed me to my first real big IT project, (However this was only really at Service Desk level.)

After the Transition; I worked as a Senior SDA member on the new transitioned account assisting and training other team members, really acting as more as a System Administrator than an SDA member.

Within a Few months of this role I approached and networked within the company and managed to get myself a promotion to Junior Network Engineer; Which is now my current role and has been for the past couple of Months. I've always wanted to work as a Network Engineer and it is currently providing me with great on the job experience.

I have managed to achieve CCENT since graduating last year and currently expect to obtain my CCNA this Month. (I had previously studied all the CCNA material under my Bachelors degree therefore already have a sound knowledge within Cisco.)

My Dilemma is do I jump ship from this role and start studying next year for my Masters? I feel I'm getting older, Currently 23 and as the years go on it will be harder to again commit to studying at a postgraduate level due to future personal and finical commitments (We all at one day settle down, buy a house, have kids etc.)

If did go back an Study next year; That would only leave me with around 6-7months experience in my current Network Engineering Role; Would this be classed as enough experience from future employers when graduating from my Masters (If i did indeed go back and get it.)

I am kind of in this Dilemma; Do I stay in my current role and peruse more Certifications (If so what path would you recommend)? Do i indeed go back and get my Masters? Do Certifications help more than Postgraduate qualifications? I'm manly looking at this for future career development and growth; I hope to be one day become a Senior Network/Security Engineer/Architect so it would be great to have some opinion from senior members.

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    Why not keep your job and go back and get your Masters on a part-time basis?
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    dbrink wrote: »
    Why not keep your job and go back and get your Masters on a part-time basis?

I guess if i did this route I would have to fund Study myself and would literally have no time to achieve anything in my personal life.

I'm a big believer of enjoying my Personal life as well as progressing my Career; However I guess it could just be that I have to maybe think about studying part-time while still working.

Although; If I did look at studying Full time, I could study other certifications in my time spent back at Uni?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well, I can't speak to Australia's job market, but over here, in seeking a network/security engineer/architect position, certifications are probably going to be a better bet than a graduate degree. If you wanted to get into a more-software oriented, deep technical field or a more managerial field, the graduate degree might be a better bet.

FWIW, I'm 25 and working on my bachelor's degree, and will probably go for a graduate degree within a year of finishing. It's silly to think you're "getting old" at 23 from my perspective. I think I'm getting old, but I recognize how ridiculous that thought is.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    If you wanted to get into a more-software oriented, deep technical field or a more managerial field, the graduate degree might be a better bet.

First lol at the getting old. This is pretty spot on. If you want to get in management (specifically high level management), you want to have your masters. Technical workers generally will have a bachelors and certifications. With that being said you could learn quite a bit if you don't have any or limited experience in security/forensics with graduate level classes. I would definitely try to get more certifications if you go to school full-time otherwise you might be better off in your job and classes part-time. It does not get any easier to go back the older you get...and you won't get as much pay if you wait throughout the years.
  • Options
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    First lol at the getting old. This is pretty spot on. If you want to get in management (specifically high level management), you want to have your masters. Technical workers generally will have a bachelors and certifications. With that being said you could learn quite a bit if you don't have any or limited experience in security/forensics with graduate level classes. I would definitely try to get more certifications if you go to school full-time otherwise you might be better off in your job and classes part-time. It does not get any easier to go back the older you get...and you won't get as much pay if you wait throughout the years.

The Masters Program I am looking at seems to be more Technical related than Management focused?

If Certifications are the way to go; Could someone provide some intel into some of the leading Forensic certs?
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    lol, old at 23... I must be ancient at 35 :)

I agree with dbrink, if you want your Master, do it part-time. I'm currently doing my 2nd module for my Masters - 1 module a year with the aim to finish by the time I'm 40... Two jobs, a young family and this... It's not easy juggling, but it can be done... The good thing about this is that I won't graduate with ££££ (thousands) of debt.

If you're looking into certifications, just be aware that a lot of them require you to attend a certain course or have X amount of experience. Added to that, they either need to be renewed every 3-4 years, expire or retire every 3-4 years. How much benefit these will be to you will be dependant on whether or not you can get a forensic role within that time frame and how much they cost before you have to resit/renew them again...
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    You are VERY young, and like others said, part-time study is the best way to go. Two subjects per semester is not gonna kill your social life for sure :) The experience you're getting now is the most important thing, the masters is a second priority IMHO.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Just to add, as work experience is the first priority, certifications should be a second priority. There are certifications for EnCase, and there is a forensics certifications from EC-Council. Search through the Information Security forums here and you can find some suggestions.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
    I'm gonna have to echo what everyone else has pretty much said in here, and that is, get some experience first. Most post graduate degrees are usually obtained during the course of one's professional career. Unless of course, you plan to be in academia, then the progression would seem natural (straight from bachelors to post grad).

I did the whole straight from undergrad to grad life, and in all honesty, I wish I would have used that time to study for higher professional level certifications, or more time labbing. What good is a Masters if you can't properly demonstrate you have the skills required to complete the job. That comes from experience and consist labbing.

Lastly, you woulnd't be doing yourself a disservice but putting grad school off for a bit. You could use the time to get your CCNP, CCNA Security, CISSP, and so on. That's roughly 1-2 years of study right there--if you're studying properly and focusing on labbing.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    23 is the new 50!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your input; Much appreciated; This is why I love these forums!

Some great advice; I'll be taking all into consideration. I think that you are all right; For the next year or so I should focus more on grabbing some vital experience and drawing knowledge of my Seniors as well as sitting some more certifications.

I'll hold of the Masters for a couple more years; I'll use it as a backup plan in case **** hits the fan.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    StussyNz wrote: »
    The Masters Program I am looking at seems to be more Technical related than Management focused?

If Certifications are the way to go; Could someone provide some intel into some of the leading Forensic certs?

You would have to actual go through the syllabi for the courses to actually know. The reason for this is you may learn techniques but a graduate degree will focus on policy development and things of that nature. By nature a graduate degree is to prepare you for management at some point where a bachelor's degree will have more technical aspects.