Options

How long is a piece of string?

mufasamufasa Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All?

just a couple of questions?
  • How do you keep up to date with what's going on in your particular field of IT?
  • What new technology or change have you or your company implemented recently?
im in my second year of working in IT and ive only just obtained my first ever cert (MCP Configuring Windows icon_cool.gif. im currently Help Desk 2nd line with access to the the entire network.

previously my bonuses were tied to company profit, as of this year ive been asked to find my own projects which will be given a value, for the life of me i cannot think on anything...

any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1.) Keeping up-to-date is fairly easy. There are a ton of free forums, knowledge bases, websites, and articles you can subscribe to that you can peruze and keep updated on newer technoligies. Also, when you certifiy through a vendor, you're typically granted access to their free on-going training, i.e. Cisco, Microsofot, Vmware, etc...

2.)We recently upgraded all of our VPN 3000 Concentrators to ASAs, (our company doesn't like to spend money). But due to recent ISO and Client audits, we were finally able to obtain some. We've also recently implemented ICINGA as our new network monitoring tool.

As far as finding your own projects, through out your employment I'm sure you've found a few procedues or tasks that could use some improvements to become more efficient. Draw on your expereience and you will fine something.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration