Options

What jobs can you get with an Associate's Degree in IT

DatabathDatabath Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Information Science and Technology is the collection, storage, evaluation, and transmission of data over the internet. And ob course it's a growing field because people need workers to solve computer problems and improve the efficiency of business. I am in the It security program but I've seen from most of the jobs, they want a bach., two years of certification, and certs. I can get the certs with a job, but once I graduate, I want to get my foot in the door. What jobs can I start

Comments

• Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    This is an age old question that does not really have an answer. I believe, and others may or may not agree with me, that a degree will not guarantee you a job, nor will it guarantee that you start somewhere other than the bottom. There are many entry level jobs that you may qualify for already, and those same jobs may be the only jobs you qualify for after you obtain your degree. Someone mentioned the other day the order of what employees look for, and I agree with them 100%. And that is:

Experience > Certifications > Degree(s)

Getting your degree, and several certifications will definitely give you a leg up in this industry, but you will most likely have to start from the bottom, such as Helpdesk, NOC, etc...

Edit: Just to give you my side of the coin: I started at the Helpdesk and was there for two years. I was working full-time and going to school full-time to obtain my BSCS. At that time I had several certifications, and was about to graduate and started throwing my resume out there. Right before I obtained my degree, I was contacted for a Network Engineer position where I currently work.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Here is my $0.02 on this situation. But remember, I am have an A.A.S in a non-tech field and am working towards a BS in IT. Also, I am "noob" status in IT...just starting out.

Almost every job add I see says they require a AAS or BS "OR EQUIVALENT" experience. If someone was looking for a Windows server admin and an applicant had a slurry of M$ expert level certs and 10 years experience to back it up do you think they would say no simply because they lacked the Associates or Bachelors? Its not likely, but its possible....but not likely. Talent is talent, if they can pass the technical interview and can prove they didnt **** through the M$ exams they would probably be in.

Now I have been told and I have seen others being told this: Your progression or level of advancement could be slowed or capped. What does this mean? Take the same guy above and assume he has been hired. Lets say he has been there 5 years now and he is itching to move into management or possibly director of something in his technical realm. Here is where that degree comes in.

And of course, everything with a grain of salt. Every organization/hiring manger is different, just like every dog has a different personality. What is fine one place wont fly in another and wont matter in a third.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    To put it bluntly, an Associate's Degree is only as good as the skill set that you acquire during it. Will the degree itself qualify you for or get you a job? -Not likely.

What skills have you been acquiring that are marketable towards entry level jobs in your area?
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    An associates degree is just enough to land you into a help desk job if you're lucky... From there, you'll have to do your time, acquire experience, and hopefully get a certification or two under your belt enough where you can move up the ladder.
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    Can someone land a helpdesk job with just a HS diploma and an A+ cert? Just curious.

Oh, and chris, in your area, are they asking for a RELATED BS?
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Can someone land a helpdesk job with just a HS diploma and an A+ cert? Just curious.

Oh, and chris, in your area, are they asking for a RELATED BS?

Most of them yes, they specify a BS in IT and some even state which BS's they prefer in descending order like this:

BS in Computer science, Information Technology or Information systems preferred.

The others that didn't specify probably assumed it was implied.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    While you are going to school look for an internship or part time computer work.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□

This is true for some companies, but others put Degrees above Certifications.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    What everyone is failing to put down information-wise is that jobs that are looking for Degrees especailly a BA/BS is the fact that those jobs are beyond entry level and appeal to seasoned/mid-level techs. Saying that you need a degree for a entry level position is a joke and I wouldn't want to work for a company that requires a degree but you do something that is on the same level as helpdesk/basic end system support/Tier 1 Jr positions...
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Surely possible, both of my fromer co-workers had HS degrees and were pulling in more than I was... However, both were prior military and had an easy in to government contracting because of their existing DOD clearances.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Just about any job that any one else can get.

I have an associates degree in CIT (Computer Internetworking Technologies) and I am off to a much better start than what a lot of my 4 year degree coworkers are at. Reason being is while I went to school for that 2 year I got certified in a lot of things such as A+, NET+, SEC+, and CCNA making me more desirable even for entry level positions while they didn't get any at all.

Heck we have a CCIE who certified at age 19 and didnt go to college at all!

Just depends on how much work you put into it. I would definitely say get a paid internship or entry level work while going to school if you can as it will give you a leg up when you are all done.
  • Options
    -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    Just about any job that any one else can get.

I have an associates degree in CIT (Computer Internetworking Technologies) and I am off to a much better start than what a lot of my 4 year degree coworkers are at. Reason being is while I went to school for that 2 year I got certified in a lot of things such as A+, NET+, SEC+, and CCNA making me more desirable even for entry level positions while they didn't get any at all.

Heck we have a CCIE who certified at age 19 and didnt go to college at all!

Just depends on how much work you put into it. I would definitely say get a paid internship or entry level work while going to school if you can as it will give you a leg up when you are all done.

Someone got a CCIE @ age 19? icon_confused.gif:
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • Options
    chrisfuchrisfu Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd say it seems like most non-programming IT jobs usually don't really require a degree at all. Most say it's preferred, but they will still call you in for an interview if you have some certs and experience. You might even get the job if you're good at making impressions and sounding like you know what you're talking about...

As for the original question, with just an AS degree without certs or experience, you'd probably have a hard time finding much more than a help desk job. Although, you may get lucky and find a place as a entry-level desktop support tech. Those tends to be fewer than a straight help desk role (at least what I've seen) If you bang out some entry-level vendor certs (CCNA or an MS OS exam) then you'd be more attractive. Also, even if you can get involved in some short-term contract deployment gigs, that still counts as some experience. Even though it may be basic stuff, you'll mostly likely get exposed to data migrations, client configuration, imaging and software deployments... Plus stuff breaks, so you can hone your troubleshooting skills. You also make connections that way, which is important. So if you spend the next six months doing stuff like that and getting some certs, you'd open up a lot of doors. You'll also open up a lot more doors if you're willing to relocate.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    -hype wrote: »
    Someone got a CCIE @ age 19? icon_confused.gif:

Yup. He got his CCIE Route Switch. His dad is a professor at a college here in Illinois so he had access to a very large lab while in high school and just kept working at it. Guess he got it 10 years ago (this year was his ten year). Not sure if he went CCNA -> CCIE or did CCNA, CCNP, CCIE.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797

Lack of any one of these could be an automatic dis-qualifier depending on the organization.

To the OP, an associates degree in IT with no experience will give you a chance at some entry level positions, which is all you can and should ask for at this stage.
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    I initially thought that if you had degrees in unrelated fields like finance and psychology, you might be able to transfer the skills from those degrees to an IT job. I hope I wasn't wrong...
  • Options
    RouterroninRouterronin Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know coders who were high school dropouts making six figures and guys with cs degrees waiting tables. It really depends on how you apply yourself.

chrisfu wrote: »
    I'd say it seems like most non-programming IT jobs usually don't really require a degree at all. Most say it's preferred, but they will still call you in for an interview if you have some certs and experience. You might even get the job if you're good at making impressions and sounding like you know what you're talking about...
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Myself and many other co-workers and former co-workers have gotten into IT and gotten good paying jobs with either a HS diploma or a GED. Of course the high school education isn't what qualified us for the job and a lot of times, a degree doesn't make you anywhere near qualified to do a lot of IT jobs. Self study has always been the most important factor when you don't have experience. At the end of the day, with or without a degree or with only an associates, your going to have to bust your but and constantly learn if you want to get into IT and make decent money. Your chances are obviously better with a bachelors but at the end of the day, it's really about how many people can do your job.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I initially thought that if you had degrees in unrelated fields like finance and psychology, you might be able to transfer the skills from those degrees to an IT job. I hope I wasn't wrong...

I know people with English degrees and other non IT degrees working in IT. Again, it's about whether or not you can do the job. If a company had a hard time filling a position because it was difficult to find someone competent enough to fill a certain role, it wouldn't be in their best interest to turn down the one guy who could do the job because he doesn't have a degree. We're talking about the free market here so outside of certain industries that require a certain education like nursing, there's no hard rule that says you can't work in IT without a degree.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if you can afford it, I would look into paid internships.. for the summer.

Don't depend on the college Career Center. Look on employer websites for interns. Many companies post jobs for undergraduates on there websites..
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs