Options

Training differences

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
So i've started using resources for my CCNA Security study, CBT Nuggets, as well as the OCG kindle and book. I've noticed that for some reason, the CBT Nuggets seems to jump right into configuration, whereas the first few chapters of the OCG are dedicated to policy. I figure its as simple as testability, You are more likely to be tested on Configuration and troubleshooting than Security policy. What do you guys think? With a general knowledge of security policy through the Security+ and other certs, might it be a more affective use of time to jump to the nuts and bolts of the exam? Rest assured its not all about passing the exam, I want to be able to configure the devices, and I feel I have a decent understanding of security policy.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    How much time are you actually saving by jumping past those first two chapters? Two hours? Yeah, it is mind numbing but you don't want to risk a chance of not knowing something for the test because you were lazy. It is great review... I do understand where you're coming from though, a lot of it just seems like common sense.
  • Options
    sucanushiesucanushie Member Posts: 163
    A big portion of it is NFP. You really need to know the concepts, or else you won't understand why your are implementing things in your network.

It's like learning OSI in CCNA. It's boring, but you need that foundation to understand the concepts.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first three chapters of non-technical reading spans a grand total of 36 pages, which includes the after chapter quizzes. Chapter 4 begins NFP, which is where the CBT Nuggets videos start.

In the grand scheme of things 36 pages really is nothing. Reading them is not going to cost you a bunch of time, and who knows, you might actually learn something :p
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    For experienced engineers getting certified, it is easy to pick out the fluff that goes into the OCG's..NA Security had some fluff but NP is typical NP...a crap ton of fluff.

I'd focus on ACL's, traffic flow, MFP (in and out), CCP (for NA, ASDM for NP)
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks all, I read through Part I, I just found it interesting, considering the basic were covered in the CCNA Nugget.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NP is typical NP...a crap ton of fluff.

As bad as the fluff in the NP books I've looked at is all the review of things you should already know from CCNA (e.g. Basics of EIGRP/OSPF)
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]