Options

Passed 70-680!

403Forbidden403Forbidden Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
Took the test today and am proud to say I passed it. The questions themselves upon closer inspection and thorough thinking through proved to be quite simple in all honesty. I was reading these forums looking at the people that had failed this test before me and was quite afraid that this was indeed some kind of huge beast of a test but when I sat down and began the answers were easily found after just a few moments of careful thought.

I do admit I had found some study notes around here as well as some guides and used / abused them repeatedly [url[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]=[/FONT]http://www.techexams.net/forums/windows-7-exams/89379-passed-70-680-heres-my-study-notes.html] This is the thread [/url]. I studied for this test for about a month, and while I hold a current A+ certification before this test I have had very little experience with a server environment. I am currently working on studying for the 70-685 now and plan to take it in two weeks, hopefully with similar results.

The biggest area that tripped me up on the test was the backup / recover portion which essentially was the specific commands line switches used for things like wbadmin / vsscopy etc. I know this is a weak point for me now and will be brushing up on it as well as doing more labs on this. If anyone is having trouble feel free to send me a line and I would be happy to help you out in what way I can.

Thanks again to everyone that contributes to this awesome community!

Comments

• Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. I failed mine last week with a 680, and the part that tripped me the most was the section on Deploying Windows. Everything else I knew already or just needed a brief review. Like you, I was surprised at the level of server knowledge required for this exam, but I had also heard it had a low first-time pass rate. I should have prepared better, but I'm retaking it tomorrow, so I should pass this time.
  • Options
    fabiogfabiog Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Like you I also only have A+ and no server experience.
    How long did you study for the exam and did you use the Microsoft book or don poulton?
  • Options
    I have booked the 685 and will be sitting it next week, when I pass it I'll have my MCITP.
    I studied for about a month.
    I had the exam objectives, study notes from another user here on the forums, and my trusty computer to do labs with.
    I didn't use any of the books, mostly because the information in the books could be found online for free and I didn't feel like spending the money on them.
    My experience with servers has been limited to setting up DHCP scopes, DNS, ADDS, ADCA, SRP, Applocker. The biggest things I had issues with were BranchCache, Direct Access, and Backup/Restore. We never had any computer connect to our server from outside of the LAN so I never had to bother learning about anything that involved connecting over a WAN. Backup/Restores were all done using scripts in place before I arrived and were not part of my job as they were being handled by a third party contractor.
  • Options
    fadeinthemixfadeinthemix Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had to lab WDS/AIK when I passed this exam
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

Did you decide what is next?
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

Did you decide what is next?

Thanks, yes I have.
    I will be sitting the 685 on Wed the 30th.
    Then the Net+ a month later.
    Then Sec+ Two weeks later.
    Then CCNA about 2-3 months after that. (Not sure about how long this will take to study for, rough estimate.)
    After that it is kind of up in the air, I am thinking of going into more Network Engineering and then side stepping my way into security at some point.

If anyone has any thoughts bout the road map I have I am entirely open to some suggestions.

Thanks,
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□