Options

Is CCNA enough to get a VISA for the US or Canada?

dv3lla9dv3lla9 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi people

Basically I have 9 years experience in fixing computers, fully hands on - dismantling the machines, putting back together, virus removals...you name it - pretty basic stuff i know. Now (I'm 25) - I've just started branching out into networking and I'm currently doing my A+ and Network+ which will finish in January. In February I am looking to get my CCNA started (that finishes in August 2014).

What I need to know is - Is A+/Network+ with a CCNA certification enough for me to immigrate to the United States? I really really want to live in the states one day. I'm currently living in London...and it just doesn't do it for me anymore. I'm bored and i need adventure. Or at very least a Canadian VISA?

I don't have any networking experience, but have a ton of technician experience.

Also I'm considering taking up a second language - Portuguese to be precised. My mum is Portuguese but she only ever spoke to me in English - (I'm aware that might get me a few more points on the VISA system)

Any advice or help would greatly be appreciated! - Have any of you made the move to the US or Canada? and from what country?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Are you trying to be a guest worker, or do you want a path to citizenship?

You might want to figure that out first, and then you will find more appropriate forums to provide you with information.

You should go to this website, in order to better research your situation:

USCIS Home Page
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Good luck but I highly doubt any company could justify hiring an Englishmen because they couldn't find a CCNA in the US. This is how the work visa process works.

A company would bring you over based on a specific skill/knowledge that they specifically need you for. It's far from easy and coupled with your lack of experience, I honestly don't know what you would do.

Your easiest way would be to propose to an American woman and file a I-129F visa
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    sadfjlfdo24sadfjlfdo24 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    or you can work for a british subsidiary of an american corporation, and rise through the ranks that way. upon transferring to a state side office you can apply for green card and eventually become a citizen. just keep in mind - being american sucks. the irs takes your wages anywhere in the world, and your government doesnt really represent you or your interests.
  • Options
    WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    dv3lla9 wrote: »
    I have 9 years experience in fixing computers, fully hands on - dismantling the machines, putting back together, virus removals...you name it - pretty basic stuff i know. Now (I'm 25) - I've just started branching out into networking and I'm currently doing my A+ and Network+...
    No offense, but there are thousands of still-unemployed techs in the U.S. right now that have those qualifications, and more. The downturn has been rough on tech, and the companies are using this as an excuse to bring in low-wage but highly educated people from places like India on H1-B visas. (think indentured servitude, if you know your British history...)
    dv3lla9 wrote: »
    In February I am looking to get my CCNA started...
    CCNA is much better than A+/Net+, but you really need that coupled with some experience to be a good job candidate. CCNA with no experience might get your foot in the door in some places.

As for Visa requirements, I'm no expert but I know they prefer people with advanced (graduate) degrees. You didn't mention your level of education.

Hope that helps put things in perspective.
  • Options
    dv3lla9dv3lla9 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your responses. I'm guessing Canada is probably a more likely option as they are not as strict on immigration as the US...however...i'll definitely need to get some experience first.

Ideally I'd want to move permanently. I always knew the US was a tough place to try and get a VISA. I'm trying to put myself in that skilled worker category to make it easier for myself.

Yea I'm doing the A+ / N+ because its a good platform to build from. I have heard people struggle when they jump right into CCNA with no previous networking knowledge.

...and no i do not have a degree, but i don't see why that should matter if I eventually have the required IT Qualifications for a job role.

Thanks guys
  • Options
    sadfjlfdo24sadfjlfdo24 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    WilyOne wrote: »
    No offense, but there are thousands of still-unemployed techs in the U.S. right now that have those qualifications, and more. The downturn has been rough on tech, and the companies are using this as an excuse to bring in low-wage but highly educated people from places like India on H1-B visas. (think indentured servitude, if you know your British history...)

CCNA is much better than A+/Net+, but you really need that coupled with some experience to be a good job candidate. CCNA with no experience might get your foot in the door in some places.

As for Visa requirements, I'm no expert but I know they prefer people with advanced (graduate) degrees. You didn't mention your level of education.

Hope that helps put things in perspective.

Well having a degree is very important if you want a job, as a lot of laid off workers with college degrees can get CCNA in matter of months, and A+/N+ will take a month at most. You cant expect to compete against someone with professional working experience, a bachelors degree, and certifications applying for the same entry level position. In this job market, this is happening everyday. I see resumes from people with degrees in physics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, with some coursework in C programming applying for entry level sysadmin/support positions. There is NO way I'll hire a Brit with no college degree and paper CCNA vs someone with a degree.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As someone who has filed several petitions with the USCIS and successfully filed for my wife's green card (she is from Japan), believe me when I say that the USCIS will be highly suspicious against any work visa petition in which a degree or extraordinary skills are not shown, that is to say if a company would even sponsor you in the first place.

You have to be very unique and white hot for an American company to sponsor you for a worker's visa, considering that they can get plenty of equally qualified workers in their backyard without any of the hassle of sponsorship.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    You need at least a Bachelor's degree related to computer science or IT plus a few years of experience. Applying for an H-1b visa is not that difficult if you can find an employer willing to file the petition on your behalf. You just need to convince the employer that hiring you over local candidates is worth all the hassle. How? Be the best candidate among all other applicants.