Options

The state of IS-IS

Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
I would like experienced network engineers to comment on the state of IS-IS in today's networks. I personally have never encountered it but I've never worked at the SP level.
1. Do you still encounter IS-IS in today's networks and in what type of designs or environment(SP for example) do you see it?
2. Have YOU ever implemented it in a production network and how widespread do you think it is right now in your opinion?

Even if you've never encountered it, I would still appreciate your experts opinion.
Thank you.
Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com

Comments

• Options
    srgsrg Member Posts: 140
    It's real common in the SP realm, probably not so much outside of that
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's the backbone protocol for fabricpath. When I learned that I was shocked since I have never even used IS-IS before.
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    It is the link state protocol of choice by many SPs. I got exposed to it when I was working at an ISP. Later at another job they had a metro provider network and that ran ISIS as well.

Both TRILL and Fabricpath are based on ISIS. Because it uses TLVs it's very extensible.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    Like others have said. I work at a SP and IS-IS is our core routing protocol. It was implemented before I came to the company, but the main reason many SPs use it I am told is because it is less chatty then OSPF and scales better when you put all core routers in one big area. From the research I have done there are pros and cons to both OSPF and IS-IS so I'm sure you could probably use either these days.
  • Options
    powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    Jackace wrote: »
    Like others have said. I work at a SP and IS-IS is our core routing protocol. It was implemented before I came to the company, but the main reason many SPs use it I am told is because it is less chatty then OSPF and scales better when you put all core routers in one big area. From the research I have done there are pros and cons to both OSPF and IS-IS so I'm sure you could probably use either these days.

IS-IS and OSPFv3 would be a more accurate comparison.
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    FloOz wrote: »
    It's the backbone protocol for fabricpath. When I learned that I was shocked since I have never even used IS-IS before.

But you don't need to know any IS-IS to use TRILL because that control functionality is hidden/automatic/whatever the correct terminology is.
  • Options
    RouterroninRouterronin Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The cool thing about OSPFv3 is that scalability will cease to be an issue....once it is properly implemented.
  • Options
    powmia wrote: »
    IS-IS and OSPFv3 would be a more accurate comparison.

Yes OSPFv3 scales a lot better than OSPFv2.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    1. Do you still encounter IS-IS in today's networks and in what type of designs or environment(SP for example) do you see it?

As others have stated, it's still widely used in the SP ream.

Dieg0M wrote: »
    2. Have YOU ever implemented it in a production network and how widespread do you think it is right now in your opinion?

We are in the process of migrating some acquired SP networks from OSPF to ISIS so I have been working quite a bit with it lately. I've never seen it used in an enterprise network though so how widespread depends on where you are looking I suppose.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Our previous network architect was a former service provider guy and REALLY wanted to deploy IS-IS in our enterprise. He ended up getting shot down by the rest of the networking team but management ALMOST swung his way. Part of me almost wish it had just so I could have deployed it and seen how it works in a production environment but I realize that it probably wasn't the best option for our enterprise. Eventually, I plan on labbing it and learning more about it but it's not exactly high on my list of priorities.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Our previous network architect was a former service provider guy and REALLY wanted to deploy IS-IS in our enterprise. He ended up getting shot down by the rest of the networking team but management ALMOST swung his way. Part of me almost wish it had just so I could have deployed it and seen how it works in a production environment but I realize that it probably wasn't the best option for our enterprise. Eventually, I plan on labbing it and learning more about it but it's not exactly high on my list of priorities.

One reason I know a lot of enterprises don't use IS-IS is if you do point-to-multipoint connections, like DMVPN, IS-IS doesn't support them.
  • Options
    RouterroninRouterronin Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jackace wrote: »
    One reason I know a lot of enterprises don't use IS-IS is if you do point-to-multipoint connections, like DMVPN, IS-IS doesn't support them.
    DMVPN is custom made to work with EIGRP but can work with ospf and bpg. IS-IS may fade away because its not IP-centric enough.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone, your opinion is much appreciated.
  • Options
    amb1s1amb1s1 Member Posts: 408
    I don't know much about this new technology Shortest Path Bridging (SPB), but I think it use IS-IS. Shortest Path Bridging (SPB) will replace spanning tree. Again, don't know much about it.
    David G.
    http://gomezd.com <
    My Tshoot test Blog
    http://twitter.com/ipnet255
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    That is a good point amb1s1. SPB is supposed to use a stripped down version of IS-IS from what I hear. Another good reason to ensure you understand the protocol.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Made a quick blog on this Hour 74: The state of IS-IS | RoutingNull0 - The Network Engineer Path and HTH brought up a good point in his comment.
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Very prevalent in the service provider space as well as some very large enterprises. Some shops will just deploy a pure L2 backbone, others will have a mix of L1/L2. The ability to turn on another TLV instead of enabling another protocol to support ipv6 is one of the useful benefits of ISIS over OSPF that comes to mind.
  • Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261