Options

RIP metrics

digininja99digininja99 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm playing with RIP and having trouble understanding metrics. I've built the following lab in GNS3 and sniffed traffic on the Vbox machine.

The RIP packet has the correct three networks in it but all have metrics of one. I understand the 10 network having a metric of one but shouldn't 11 have a metric of two and 192 have a metric of three?

Comments

• Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    I believe the problem has something to do with the VBOX. Try sniffing traffic between R1 and the Switch and you should have the correct metrics.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    You can run WireShark in GNS3.
  • Options
    Running a capture on the port marked 10.0.0.1 shows RIP messages coming in from 10.0.0.2 with the same metrics.

That eliminates VirtualBox and anything that could affect the packets as the are leaving the GNS3 network.

Are you confirming that I'm right in thinking the metrics should all be different and so shouldn't be one?

AwesomeGarrett:
    I know you can run Wireshark in GNS3, I'm building a lab to demonstrate sniffing routing traffic on host devices as part of network discovery.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Yes I confirm that the metrics should all be different. This is a bug with the IOS you are using. See GNS3 • View topic - RIPv1 hop count mysterious behavior on various routers??
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll go and find a router which is supported and not in the list has being affected.
  • Options
    PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    Yeah I would recreate the topology and then run wireshark to see what you find.
  • Options
    I rebuilt it with 3745's and all is working fine now.