Options

Organization of resources

iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
We starting to get a lot of virtual machines in our clusters at work and I am looking for some feedback. I was wonder how everyone else groups and organizes there virtual resources in within vCenter.

How big is your environment and how is it organized? Do you use resource pools within the Hosts and Clusters? Do you group by business function?
2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
2020: GCIP | GCIA 
2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
2022: GMON | GDAT
2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We have a number of clients, each client has their own cluster with varying number of hosts and VM's. We dont have resource pools although they have been proposed.

You may know this but you shouldnt use resource pools just for organising your resources because they can have some unintended impacts. It is best to use folders the ‘VM’s and Templates View’ in the vSphere Client for organizing VM’s and only (sparingly) use resource pools to achieve specific performance goals. The previous employer I worked for had High/Medium/Low resource pools. Because things werent that tightly controlled initially, increasing number of VM's were plonked into the High resource pool which diluted the pool leaving VM's starved of resources. In contrast, VM's in the Medium and Low resource pools had plenty to go around. So if you are prepared to go the way of resource pools be sure to revisit the allocations and control what goes where. Have a quick squiz at the following article (if you havent already) >
    The Resource Pool Priority-Pie Paradox - Yellow Bricks

Are you seeing any performance impact or things are just getting cluttered?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com