Options

Georgia Tech Online Masters in CS Program now has Applications open!

Anyone going for it?
I think I may wait until next Fall, to see how the program is, but for $7k for the whole program from that great of a school, it is hard to ignore.
2017 Goals:
[ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
Future Goals:
TBD

Comments

• Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looks promising. Once I finish up with wgu, I will definitely look more into this.
  • Options
    jfinneljfinnel Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, it does look promising. I still have at least a term to finish at WGU myself, but I'm concerned about how much longer it could take vs. going for the WGU MSISA. The tuition cost is definitely a selling point, and I understand it is a joint effort between Ga. Tech, AT&T, and Udacity. I think I will watch and see how it all unfolds and maybe I will be sending in an application before the autumn 14 semester.
    WGU BSIT Student, 4 classes to go: WSV1, KET1, KFT1, WDV1:cheers:
  • Options
    beantownmpbeantownmp Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm guessing you'll need to take a lot of prerequisites coming from a BS in IT to a MS in CS program. There are a lot of core CS classes that WGU doesn't teach along with the higher level maths & physics. Still doesn't change the fact that 7k for a MS in CS from a school like Georgia Tech is a killer deal!
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    How will this degree appear on my diploma and/or transcript?
    The name "Online Master of Science" is an informal designation to help both Georgia Tech and prospective students distinguish the delivery method of the OMS program from our on-campus degree. The degree name in both cases is Master of Science in Computer Science.
    How much does the degree program cost?
    Exact cost will depend on how quickly students complete the program. We anticipate that working students will take an average of two courses per term, resulting in a total program cost of about $6,600 over six terms. Students who complete their programs more quickly will pay less; those who take longer will pay more.

Source: Frequently Asked Questions - OMSCS
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    I wonder if they have circuit breakers that keep certain enterpising individuals from taking all of the courses in one term?
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    jfinneljfinnel Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @beantownmp your guess is probably correct, but how many prereq's will be needed, and what the difficulty level will be are just two of the many questions I will need answered before committing. I think there will also be a leap in the on-line format, and the Q&A stated that the on-line courses would be the same level as the Ga. Tech brick and mortar classes, so it would be a challenge, at least for me.
    WGU BSIT Student, 4 classes to go: WSV1, KET1, KFT1, WDV1:cheers:
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    man this is tempting...
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    I've looked at quite a few computer science programs across the past year or so (haven't pulled the trigger yet)

The prereqs for a grad-level CS program are typically this:
    Math courses: Three semesters of Calculus, along with Discrete Math and/or Linear Algebra
    CS courses: Computer Organization, Data Structures, Programming Languages, Algorithms, Operating Systems

Because of the large number of prerequisites, its usually easier to do grad level CS if you do undergrad CS.

At Ga Tech, I can't find a detailed list of their prerequisites, but they do ask for a strong background in undergraduate computer science, as well as C programming, on this page:
    MS Computer Science

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    blinkme323blinkme323 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone found out if the actual degree received from this program will differ from that of the B&M degree? I think this would be a lot less enticing should the degree have "online" plastered all over it.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It will say online masters of CS.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe I'm missing something but is someone going to ask to see your actual masters degree? Does it really matter if you list it as a masters degree in CS from Georgia Tech?
  • Options
    widget101widget101 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm tempted to try my luck at being admitted, but I know I don't have a strong application considering the paucity of computer science coursework on my undergraduate transcripts.
    GAngel wrote: »
    It will say online masters of CS.

instant000 posted the link to the official FAQ where it states that the actual degree and transcript will not have the "online" designator.
    How will this degree appear on my diploma and/or transcript?

The name "Online Master of Science" is an informal designation to help both Georgia Tech and prospective students distinguish the delivery method of the OMS program from our on-campus degree. The degree name in both cases is Master of Science in Computer Science.