New CCNA books came today for both Odem and Lammle

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys,
I bought Wendell Odoem's Routeing and Switching Official Cert Library 100-101 and 200-101. In addition I bought Tood Lammle's CCENT book.
I am starting the process of building new notes guides ect to study off of. Most of my notes I made in Excel are still good I just have to tweak them a bit.

Has anyone used either of these resources for the new exam ? I am going to be checking out there ectra page but was wondering if anyone has any comments on either of these books ?

mgmguy1
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • tombosaucetombosauce Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used Odom's book for 100-101 as my main study material and passed. I've heard some people think his books are too dry, but I liked the format. I also used the Boson Netsim for labbing. As you study, I'd recommend labbing as you go over each chapter to reinforce what you've just read. I waited until after I finished the book, and I ended up spending more time going back to reread.

Good luck on your studies!
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im about 3/4 through the new Odom book.
    Its not that dry to me, but I dont like how it summarizes everything before going into it.
    Literally every semi-section of a chapter has its own introduction and summary about the upcoming section.

Still a good book and Id recommend it.
  • smcclenaghansmcclenaghan Member Posts: 139
    I used the original Odom books but not the new ones.

The original ones were magic.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have Todd Lammle's CCENT book as well. His new CCNA book (R/S 200-120) is also out now. Gonna pick that up. I saw on Wiley's website where you can download extra materials for it (Simulator, flash cards, practice exams, etc...).

Sybex: CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide: Exams 100-101, 200-101, and 200-120 - Todd Lammle
  • djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    I've read both and I prefer Todd Lammle's writing style. I kinda wish he would write a book for the CCNP material.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if you email jim@lammle.com with your receipt he'll actually send you more bonus material I put together. thanks for posting! Todd Lammle
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Hi Todd, decided to take the plunge and pick up your new CCNA book (thanks OP for starting the thread!). I don't touch a lot of networking but as I get deeper into sys admin'ing I find myself wanting to understand networking better. Looking forward to the read!
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Used Odom's 100-101...chapters are pretty short ~20pgs and has all the key topics easy to spot. Honestly a lot of this type of material is dry but Odom's book isn't too bad. Haven't used Todd's book though.