Options

Passed WGU TYP1 - Project in OOP (Java)

NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
I submitted my source code to task stream late Saturday night. It was returned today with a grade of 100%. All in all the assignment wasn't difficult, IMO.

I have used the provided text Head First Java a few years ago when I originally wanted to learn Java and I haven't messed with it much since. If you really use the book, understand and can demonstrate inheritance and overriding methods, you can pass this assignment.
When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.

Comments

• Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Congrats. Glad to hear a success story after all the complaints about WGU's Java material.
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats Carl, keep up the good work.
    Do you code much at work ?
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @CarlSaiyed - congrats on the pass! Have you taken the TXC1 exam (Introduction to Programming)? If so, please provide some general comments on the level of difficulty and on the extent to which the content matches the learning resources provided by WGU.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    RoflawfulRoflawful Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not the OP, but am in the same spot in my WGU curriculum as OP so I'll chime in.

The pre-assessment in TXC1 will give you a very good idea about the exam. I got a 90% on the PA, and an 87 on the exam with no studying for this specific class. I do work as a programmer, but use 0 Java on the job.

TYC1 was a bit different. More term heavy, and used more code that I do not generally use in personal side projects/etc. 66% on the pre-assessment, so I plan on going through the material before taking the exam.

The projects for both classes are cake (IMO) if you have programming experience. The rubrics are very specific about what you need to use, so if you use them as your guide and avoid all scope creep, you can pass easy. TXP1 took ~1hr, TYP1 took ~2hrs.
  • Options
    I took the old version of TXC1 so I can't comment on the new version. I'm now working on TYC1 with is the follow up to TYP1 but has an exam instead of a project. I took the pre-test and it was very term and code heavy. I did pass but will need to study a bit more before I feel confident to take the real exam.

I don't do any OOP at my current job but I do a lot of SQL and Automate BPA scripting. I did about 3 years of OOP (mostly C# and JavaScript) with my previous employer. My new role my current employer will have me using my OOP skills soon.
  • Options
    @Roflawful @CarlSaiyed - thanks for those insights into the WGU Java courses. LOL @Roflawful re: scope creep - you are so right - I ended up using a graphical user interface for TXP1 instead of simple command line data entry and output. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    I too made a GUI using Swing. IMO it was cleaner than the console version. I'm not sure if it's allowed to tell you guys about my version of the app or share screen shots (obviously not code) but mine came out very slick with dynamically sized windows, input validation, jTables for data presentation and error/success feedback to the user in for each action (where appropriate).
  • Options
    @CarlSaiyed - Mr slick programmer! icon_thumright.gif For the TYP1, I went with the command line. I put too much effort into the GUI for TXP1 with no major advantage.