Options

Do not understand what this question is asking

MelodiaMelodia Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
There may be a better place to ask about something like this, but I figured since I'm already registered to a forum full of IT head, I may as well ask it here. I'm new to databases (mostly using mySQL) and I'm confused as to what the following question is asking me to do.

"Design and document two separate database servers installations, including a high level backup

strategy which will be used as follows :
1. Single Server User Test Environment with minimal recovery and redundancy
- Test data can be recreated without too much overhead but should not suffer
more than 1 week data loss
2. Single Server Production Environment with full recovery and redundancy
- Backup Data Files & Physical Database Data files should be on separate file
system"

I'm not even sure what a single server user test environment is. Same goes for single server production environment. I did find this link that tries to explain a single server environment, but I don't really understand it. I think I need a "for dummies" kind of explanation before I get this.

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hello and welcome to TE.

A single server is simply what it implies – everything on one server.

A user test environment is a system that is intended for testing by the end-user. Sometimes called a UAT or user-acceptance test environment - Acceptance testing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A production environment is exactly what it means – the actual system used for running the solution in actual practice.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help Paul.

Sorry I'm a bit late responding to you.
  • Options
    Okay, now there's another thing confusing me. Is there a distinction between a user acceptance test environment and a proof of concept environment?
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Generally when the term proof-of-concept environment is used with technology, it implies that it's an environment for evaluation of a particular approach for a solution. The environment is usually sometimes temporary and used for a short-period of time, typically in a lab-type of environment. The environment's end-users are usually the technology staff.

In contrast, user-acceptance test environments are for validating the actual solution before it is placed into production. It would contain all the business features required for the solution and typically is the final stage before the solution is deployed into production. The end-users of the environment are typically the actual business users that the final solution is built for.
  • Options