Options

My Bosses Response to Using Company Money for Certification\Training

2»

Comments

• Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is difficult to work for a company that will not take the time and energy to invest in its employees.

The problem with not paying for certifications and training is that it is a competitive differentiator, and people will go to companies where they DO invest in you (tuition reimbursement, certifications, etc).

I know my employeer has my back when I want to do training (within reason, of course - I have to show how it benefits the company). I like working here vs companies that I've worked at that did not reimburse for training.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Even if he is missing the main point of certification = value for everyone, he did give you a very legitimate response. All I got when I asked was "Haha... No."

Ironically you probably quit sooner than you would had they helped with reimbursement?
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sorry if these points are not bringing anything to the debate - but any money that a company spends on it's staff should surely be seen as an investment. Yes, they are not direct profit bringing things - but what if your staff are well trained and able to spot new opportunities to exploit customers for more profit (i.e. offer more services) because they are ABLE to support them?

That in itself brings more profitability long term. IT is always seen as this big cost model - non profit making business - and I firmly believe this is just because of narrow mindedness and an inability to think outside the box in order to make money
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Ironically you probably quit sooner than you would had they helped with reimbursement?

Had I had reimbursement I would have likely stayed simply for that, yes. It is small money to the company and big savings to the employees. Plus we become better at our jobs. I don't understand why companies don't see it as an investment. If you think people are going to leave then you should change things to make them want to stay.
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    epcg wrote: »
    My boss once said something like this to me "If we get you certified then you will leave." .

I think the best response to the "If we get them training/certs they will leave" is "what if we don't get them training/certs, and they stay."

Think I saw that quote on here somewhere.