Options

Frame Relay Router Help Please

TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
I'm building my lab and ordered a Cisco 3620 Frame Relay Router. It is running 12.3, and I'm unsure if this will work. Could someone please advise? I'm considering exchanging it out for an 1841, but i'm not sure if an 1841 can be used as a Frame Relay Router.

Thanks for the help.

[h=1][/h]

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You really only need to be concerned about it having enough serial interfaces. There isn't much in the way of IOS version with frame relay switching as far as I know. An 1841 would be overkill.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You could get a 2522 and just use that and it'd be OK.

Personally I'm getting a 3640 with a kit I've bought, and someone has promise me one, so I may well end up with a spare :D

I'll probably sell the spare frame card.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think i'll just stick with what I have ordered or use an extra 2610xm I ordered as a Frame Relay Switch.
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Frame -relay is more a configuration then the type of equipment. As networker050184 said you just need enough interfaces to do what you want.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can use pretty much any IOS-Based Cisco router for Frame Relay. I used my 2821 mainly because it had 4 HWIC Slots, allowing me to install 4 x WIC-1DSU-T1 V2. Anything with 2 or more Serial Ports (WIC-1T, WIC-2T, NM-4A/S, NM-4T, NM-8A/S, etc...) or Serial T1 (WIC-1DSU-T1, WIC-1DSU-T1 V2, etc...). On a side note the NM-4T1-IMA (which is an NM with 4 x T1 designed for ATM) won't work. I got a router that came with one installed, so I gave it a try and the router wouldn't take the "frame-relay route" commands. But, when I tried it with a couple of WIC-1DSU-T1s it took the commands and I was able to use it as a Frame Relay Switch.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Great! So, it sounds like I can just install 2 wic-2t cards on my 2160xm rather than look for a NM-4A/S slot. Is that correct?

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    The only real consideration in regards to what type of cards to use is your cables, as WIC-2T cards will have connectors for smart serial cabes, where as the A/S ports will be a female 60-pin port I believe - so you'd need smart to async cables (~$8 on ebay).
  • Options
    I see. But what i mean is rather than buy a NM-4A/S slot, could i just use two wic-2t cards on the frame relay switch?
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Yep, will serve the exact same purpose.