Options

Teaching my 7 year old programming

philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
What resources do you think are valuable to teach a 7 year the very basics of programming. My daughter is already reading at a 4th grade level and is asking me what and how I am doing when she sees me writing code.

There are thousands of books out there so I was hoping the forum could help me filter through the noise.

-Phil

Comments

• Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Rather than a book, how about introducing her to Scratch or Alice?
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There was a thread on here a week...maybe two weeks ago where the thread title was asking about scripting in python and/or powershell.

Someone recommended a childrens book in that thread that was supposed to be amazing for anyone new to programming. If you can find that thread, I am sure it would be worth your while.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    There were plenty of books for "kids programming" in the 80's and 90's that you might be able to dig up at used bookstores or failing that online. The old "make a simple game that your kid can play" sort of stuff. Then there are the "Turtle Programming" games that let your kid program a turtle to move and stuff. I remember those from Elementary school.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hopscotch App Aims To Get Both Girls And Boys Interested In Programming – ReadWrite Hopscotch app

This one appears interesting as well, moreso probably to you than 7-year old though... https://ifttt.com/wtf
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good topic - we had a similar discussion on it recently here - http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/87116-good-books-kids-teens.html I am a big proponent of Scratch as @ratbuddy also pointed out.
    You can find more info here - About Scratch | Scratch Documentation Site
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Alice is pretty decent to get young ones interested. Be certain your kid is actually interested and not just doing it because you get excited about it. I've a couple friends who helped their kid crash and burn with programming.

"Programming" is a cool sounding thing to tell others your kid is doing, but I was writing stuff in FORTRAN and basic decades ago too, but it was a passing phase. Keep it fun. Keep the kid interested. Never push. Which is exactly what Alice was about...it shows and offers kids more of an end-goal-in-sight rather than getting tied up in lines and lines of code.

If the interest is there, you won't have to worry about what is next!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Psyco32Psyco32 Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Learn to code | Codecademy
    Has Python, Ruby, JavaScript, HTML, etc. Online from basics to advanced.
    2014 GOALS
    > GMOB [MAR_2014] OSCP [MAY_2014] GREM [OCT_2014]
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Scratch is the way to go these days. Teaches core concepts in a fun way. Some good books for it, too!

It's a great way to teaching programming first and languages second. :)
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have an 8 year old nephew who sees me coding from time to time and is eager to learn... Of course I shouldn't just throw him in the pit with emacs and have him write C code but I sure am thinking about doing it anyways. Beyond that I might take the advice given here and investigate scratch. C was the first programming language that I learned (And actually it's the only one I know how to do anything useful with).
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Programming for kids?

Teach her VB
    meh
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    +1 for Scratch over at MIT. It's absolutely brilliant for kids to learn to code!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging