Options

Boson any good?

vlad06vlad06 Member Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

I'm just learning the bridging materials for the new CCNA Routing & Switching exam and I was wondering if the Boson network simulator kit for CCNA is worth the money?

Anybody used it and can give some advice?

Thank you,

Vlad

Comments

• Options
    draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My experience with Boson's labs were that they forced you to figure out lab questions more than the lab sim that comes the Cisco press books. Cisco press basically gave set instructions but did not require any problem solving. That said I don't think either one is better and the best solution would be to use both of them as you train. If not the Cisco press lab sims are more than enough in my opinion.
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    I had just the practice questions. They are pretty good. But i scored 90% on practice and failed the first exam. Then studied more and did 100% and practice, and passed the second time
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
    I used Boson for my CCENT and CCNA, and thought the practice questions were good. The simulator wasn't too bad either, but I would strongly encourage you to instead use that money for 2 routers and a switch. I'm sure you can buy a CCNA kit for 300 -400 dollars and if that's too much, just buy 2 routers and a 2950 switch.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, what could I do with two routers and a switch? My learning experince so far has entirely been comprised of reading materials and Packet Tracer simulation.

What are the benefits of getting equipment? Surely two routers a switch would be useless inside my bedroom?

Please advise.

P.S. I think I'll buy just the practice exams.
  • Options
    shedraclshedracl Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi everyone am studying for ccna exam am currently using boson netsim but wen i try linking router 1 and router 2 using serial port i keep getting administratively down please anyone help me
  • Options
    StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    shedracl wrote: »
    hi everyone am studying for ccna exam am currently using boson netsim but wen i try linking router 1 and router 2 using serial port i keep getting administratively down please anyone help me

Have you set a clock rate on one of the DCE interface? Issued the No shutdown command to enable the interfaces to become operational?
  • Options
    TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
    Hey Vlad,

Check out the website free ccna workbook. Just google that and go check out the CCNA labs on their page. You asked what you could do with actual equipment and that site has plenty of labs you could follow along using GNS3 or actual equipment. Moreover, many of the CCNA labs don't require more than a few pieces of equipment. If i recall correctly CCENT covered show commands, CDP, setting up vlans, hostnames, time, telnet, ssh, Router on a Stick and so on. All of the things I just mentioned can be done on one switch and one router. Then for some of the other basic stuff likeOSPF, RIP and EIGRP labs, you just need two routers to run them.

Just to expand on my example above, say you are working on CCENT and you want to do some of the labs. Well, console to your switch so that you can practice some of the commands as you read through each individual chapter. Alot of the Cisco commands and configurations are mainly learned through repetition and if you have your own equipment, there's not reason not to practice.

Anyhow, do what you will, but if you don't have a job or have never had a job touching actual Cisco equipment, once again, i would STRONGLY encourage you to get on it. It is NOT uncommon for interviewers to ask you what type of equipment you have worked on. I was asked that during the interview of the current job I have, and just by chance, I had just started to purchase equipment a month before being interviewed, so I felt confident saying that I had experience with Cisco gear.
  • Options
    TBickle, thanks a lot for that. I will do it, which particular routers and witches should I get that are acquirable within a budget?