Options

Next step - 10 Months in IT Helpdesk Technician I

user333499user333499 Banned Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi TechExams Members!

I'm amazed at the amount of people that are consistently acquiring multiple IT certifications to better their careers and the much younger crowd as well. I will start frequently posting on here as well and try to help if I can and plan on acquiring more IT certifications to better myself. I hope this post will help people in my same shoes.

My end question - If you could start over, what would you do? What would you change? What are your suggestions to excel in this career path? :D

About Me
I've gotten lucky to be in my current position and am proud of it. I have currently been working my first job in IT as IT Helpdesk Technican I for 10 months now and have felt I've gotten to the point that I almost know majority of the common helpdesk issues. I am looking to learn more to advance within my newly found career path. I do not have a BA/BS Degree and have no prior IT experience. However, I have been fully involved with computers on a personal hobby level and I am a quick learner and hardworking at that. I enjoy learning to the utmost fullest, just for the hell of it. I have not finished my BA/BS Degree through the regular college route because of other ventures in my life and the slow pace of traditional brick and motor that does not interest my mind. I have always learned on my own time since I was able to read. Prior, I have been in the web design and internet marketing arena trying to build my own web design/internet marketing business.

I've gotten to the age (26) where I've spent enough time trying to build up my own business and not enough success as I want (not putting in the full amount of time and effort). I decided about 1 year ago that I needed to maintain a full time job and gain experience in the IT field while I'm still young. It's been 10 months since that decision and luckily I was able to find an IT Helpdesk Technician position without any needed certifications and/or a college degree.

My Current Job Position
*Please excuse my amateur terminology as I am still a beginner/newbie in the IT field.
To give everyone the idea of what I currently work on would be that I have full access to the entire company network. We support about 450-500 users and currently have 4 IT Helpdesk Staff (2) Tier I and (2) Tier 2. We are understaffed and for this reason I am able to work on pretty much everything which I am truly grateful for because the experience has been exciting.

I have currently noticed and fix most of the current IT Helpdesk issues. Most of all issues from the last 2-3 months are nothing new and I am looking to expand my knowledge onto the infrastructure side rather than the common recurring daily helpdesk issues.

I truly want to take advantage of the full access I do have and start going more in depth on the specific technologies that we use. I have proven myself as hardworking and aggressive in getting things done to my Tier 2 peers. I have the opportunity to pass majority of the common helpdesk issues to my Tier I peers whom don't want to put in as much work for new projects and learning of new technologies. This list may be easy for most of you.
  • To give an example, we are running on a Windows environment, a mixture of 2003 and 2008 servers. We maintain multiple fileservers for our users that eventually have to be consolidated to one server.
  • We currently running Citrix and also have VM servers (HP blade). There are currently many bugs with Citrix (freezing, etc). Our current team is lacking a system admin and we don't necessarily have the existing knowledge to fix many of these issues. We are currently searching but the company doesn't pay top dollar for a Guru to work in our department. As much as I would like to be taught by someone who knows there stuff.
  • Other things we currently use - Sonicwall, Microsoft Exchange, Active Directory, Kaspersky Endpoint, Dell KBox,
  • Mitel Digital/IP Phone System - I have learned to cross connect phones on a 66 block as well as add them to the Mitel Console.
  • Building up multiple satellite locations from the ground up. Calling AT&T, connecting routers, switches, POT lines, etc. Basic stuff.
  • To my knowledge that's all I remember currently.
Things that can be worked on.
  • Learn more about VM systems, servers, HP Blade. Connecting to SAN storage, etc. I lack the knowledge here.
  • Upgrade all servers to 2008 from 2003.
  • Consolidate all current fileservers to one fileserver.
  • Learn citrix and fix citrix to work more effectively while reducing the amount of current bugs in the system.
  • Learn how to administer sonicwall.
  • Learn how to setup a MS Exchange server and update to latest version. 2003 currently. Learn to also administer MS Exchange.
  • Learn in and out Kaspersky endpoint.
  • Learn in and out Dell Kbox.
  • Possibly learn VOIP stuff?
I am looking to learn what I can and use what I can in my current position till I acquire experience and pass some of the IT certifications to land a better job which I can learn even more.

My Goals
I am currently interested in increasing my knowledge preferably with the current infrastructure that I have in place at my current job to get more hands on experience. I have the opportunity to take on projects if need be. I do not want to stay in the same job position for too long as I want to make quick moves when I feel I cannot expand on my current knowledge base. Quick moves in my skill set as well as salary level. My understanding of this industry is if my employer's aren't willing to increase my salary because my job tasks have increased and/or are skill set is more technically inclined. My actual skills can be better suited in another company which would be happy to pay a fair market value. As much as people, prefer to stay in the same company (myself included). In the end, it is ultimately my own fault for staying in an underpaid position for my current skill set. In relation to current standards. Please correct me if I am wrong.

My Questions

Should I still go the traditional route of A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, MCTS, CCNA? Should I skip the A+ and just go Network+? Or should I just get the A+ as well. I'd en

For the more experienced, What route would you suggest for my current position?

I do like the Network route as well as System admin route. I would like to go as far as I can learn with the minimum time I have to learn while maintaining a full time position. I am currently in the 50k bracket. I would like to eventually reach 70-80k within 1 year and 100-120k within 2-4 years? Is this doable? What is required?

If you could start over, what would you do? What would you change? What are your suggestions?

Eventually, I would like to take one of the WGU classes but would prefer to know majority of it before hand and hopefully pass within 1-2 semesters.

I know this may be repeat post from many other newbs like myself but I would appreciate the responses.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Firstly, congratulations on your new job! Secondly, if you plan to go the WGU route then choose the step-by-step path starting from A+. Many on TE would suggest that you study the material and then take the exam on WGU's dime rather than paying for it before you enroll. Personally, I paid for and passed the CompTIA triad prior to enrolling in WGU as I didn't think I could retain the material that long and I needed a few credits to be accepted into WGU.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would skip the A+ and Net+ if you're already working in a help desk position, but my advice is probably not as sound as some of the more veteran posters on this forum. It seems to me that the basic CompTIA certs are more for people who are still trying to land their first IT job, not so much for people who are already there.
  • Options
    Ivanjam - Thanks! I do plan on going the WGU route but plan on going when I'm significantly much more smarter as I would like to minimize the cost for WGU. I do however also need (1) certification before I can be accepted in WGU as well.

Devils_haircut - I was thinking the exact thing that A+ and Net+ are meant to land current positions as the one that I already have. As for pay they wouldn't really increase my pay if I was to find a new position.

Me - With that said, what would be the next best route to increase pay or should I just continue the regular route and go A+, Net+, Security+. I'm looking to get the most bang for the buck. I can always go back and get my A+, Net+ if needed. My original thought was to skip A+ and go Net+ and continue the regular route.

What IT certifications start changing in pay? What certification can increase my pay by about 15-30% from a helpdesk position?

Seeing the fact that you both have A+, Net+, Sec+. I might just suck it up and do the A+ anyways.

Ideal route - A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, Server+, MCSA, MCSE, CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE.

I would guess the regular CompTIA's should get me maybe 60-70k. MCSE, CCENT, CCNA should get me to 70-80k? Is that about right?

I have the option of playing more with our VM and Citrix environment. Also looking into getting VM and Citrix certifications also.

Thanks!
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @user333499 - in my experience, there is little real correlation between certification and salary level at the bottom of the IT totem pole. At higher levels not including management positions, salary is usually proportional to years of experience, skill level and current demand for a particular skillset, in no particular order. That being said, the converse may very well be true in a particular organization that rewards certification - make a few subtle inquiries in your own HR department.

I can assure you that 50k after 10 months in a Helpdesk Technician I role with zero certs is a pretty decent salary. Work on your certifications and your degree and you should be doing quite well in a couple of years.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    I currently am at 48k salary as a service desk tech (help desk) and benefited position, trying to move out
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    As stated by Ivanjam, certification do not guarantee you any salary. It is all about the knowledge that you have and the skills you are able to provide an employer and what those skills are worth in your geographical location. If you focus on the knowledge there will be people knocking down your door to talk to you so they can determine what you know.

I like to think of certifications as a calling card.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you plan on starting at WGU in the next 5 years, figure out what track you are going to take and start taking those exams.

If you want information that will help in your current position, I would skip A+ and go straight to Net+ and then the MCSA 2008 track.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Great, Thanks for all the help.

Since, I guess there isn't much of a rush since I need the entire experience thing. I'll be focusing on A+, Network+ and look more into VM/Citrix since those are in my current environment and they can use some work. I'll then look into WGU and see what classes I can learn before hand to shorten my time there.