Options

Leaving a job for a career advice needed

jayrayjayray Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been lurking around these forums for a few days and finally decided to register so I could ask a question as I've seen some great advice being given here and hope I could get some direction. Some background about me, I currently I work as a helpdesk support for a small IT group that services dental offices in the tri-state area. My work is done 100% remotely, I'm dedicated support from the business office, but before this for four years I did field support for a splattering of clubs and small businesses as part of another small IT group.

I have an associates in Computer Networking and Systems Administration from a small tech school that I graduated from in '07, and no valid certifications currently. In my two jobs I've gotten basic experience at mapping and deploying physical copper cabling networks, managing Windows Based Servers (all full, no core deployments), more recently at managing a few Apple networks, and basic front end user/Microsoft Office Suite support, along with a plethora of dental office specific things that are worthless outside that industry. Network Equipment used for these SMBs is usually home office level stuff from Linksys, Netgear, etc. So I haven't any practical on the job experience with real Cisco or Juniper or any other more advanced equipment.

So right now I have about six years of SMB remote/onsite support but want to go into something more large scale with potential for better pay/benefits than these small outfits I've worked for can offer. Should I be looking into any specific certifications or degrees, or equipment experience if I wanted to pursue a real Network Engineer job and where would I start? Is there an ideal position that I should try to pursue once I've earned some certifications and made a presentable resume? Finally, is my experience up to this point even really worth anything in the bigger business world? I see WGU tossed around here a lot and am thinking of enrolling in it if I can afford it and it's necessary. Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Comments

• Options
    RouterroninRouterronin Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you ever see "The Departed?" When you decide to be something you can be it. What do you want to be? Get some new certs in that area, update your resume and become what you want to be.