Options

Internships for AAS seeking students?

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just started my AAS program in IT and I should be done by the end of next year. I haven't completed the IT PC tech class yet (or the A+). With that being said, I really want to complete a internship or two next summer and fall because I don't want to graduate without any experience. However, when I search for internships through indeed or simplyhired, I'm only getting results for internships requiring enrollment in a 4 year program (which I am still debating if I want to do that or not). Are there hardly any internships for AAS students or am I not looking in the right place?

Comments

• Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does it have to be an "internship." Try looking for some volunteer work instead. A lot of places such as salvation army and purple heart repurpose and resale used computers. Check with a location in you area, let them know you are interested in volunteering and go from there.

Also check with your college. It is possible you could do a work-study/internship program with the school itself. I did a work-study program at my school while attending (Assistant Network Admin), gained some good experience and made some connections.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    ChrisMaloonChrisMaloon Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good response Techguy. I have to agree.
  • Options
    TechGuy215 wrote: »
    Does it have to be an "internship." Try looking for some volunteer work instead. A lot of places such as salvation army and purple heart repurpose and resale used computers. Check with a location in you area, let them know you are interested in volunteering and go from there.

Also check with your college. It is possible you could do a work-study/internship program with the school itself. I did a work-study program at my school while attending (Assistant Network Admin), gained some good experience and made some connections.

No, it really doesn't. I might look for some volunteering experience but the issue is I don't think there is a whole lot of tech non profits in my area. With that being said, I might be able to help out a church or a community center. Hopefully like you said I will be able to score something from the college or one of local colleges.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Talk to your adviser, your instructors, and the career placement department at your school. See if your school has someone who helps setup internships.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    Talk to your adviser, your instructors, and the career placement department at your school. See if your school has someone who helps setup internships.

Speaking of that, I'm going to talk to my advisor tomorrow afternoon.