Options

Cloud Jobs

EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
A big question for a lot of people in IT for a while has been "What happens to my job if my company goes to the Cloud?"

I’ve always said the jobs don’t go away, it’s only where they are that changes. Here’s an example of a Cloud job for those that are curious.
Chicago IT/Operations Service Engineer - GFS 846183 Job - IL, 60290

I’ll also add that having your organization move “to the Cloud” doesn’t necessarily eliminate the need for many IT roles. While the organization may no longer need to maintain servers or even a datacenter, they still need to maintain and manage the users and apps in whatever Cloud services your organization uses. Having knowledge of how those applications and services worked when they were on-premises is still very valuable after they’ve been moved “to the Cloud”.

Comments

• Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Not super high requirements either. Very within the reach of many.
  • Options
    ChrisMaloonChrisMaloon Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cool post. Thanks.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Exactly, just because your data center moved doesn't mean the need for support to it has. Problem might be that your job moved to the other side of the country but the need is still their. Not to mention that user support will always be a need.

Only issue I have is that this might cause a gap in abilities as shops move to "cloud" services in other states leaving less lower end admin type positions.

Love the requirements for that M$ position...wish M$ was a little closer to me though.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    eansdad wrote: »
    Love the requirements for that M$ position...wish M$ was a little closer to me though.

I'm sure we are. Offices all over the place. I just looked and there are at least 9 offices in NJ. Maybe not for that specific position, but probably some others you'd be surprised at.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only one in Jersey is Iselin which is to far for me. Nearest office I can see is Malvern Pa.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've seen a ton of Amazon aws/ec2 engineer posting lately.
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think some people have the wrong idea about the cloud.

The fact you don't have to worry about the hardware itself doesn't mean everything else will be done automatically. Application development, testing, backups, interconnection just like a remote support job that you don't have the server next to you but you login remotely to troubleshoot and/or implement and to support the applications and the users.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For people like me, who have moved past the day to day user/mailbox/server "administration" and are part of the jack-of-all IS infrastructure engineering for a company, the cloud most definitely is a concern. The admins are not the ones who will be squeezed out. Implementation, design, and architecture are what will be squeezed out as IT services become more commoditized. The roles continue to exist, but there will be fewer of them.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...