Options

Shared Folders Problem

cussetacusseta Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm working on 70-270 and have bought a couple computers in order to network them together and follow along in the book. I also have a server, but I'm beginning with workgroups vs. domains so that I can get the basics out of the way. Here's where I ran into a problem. Right now, I have two computers connected via a switch. Both can ping each other and both have each others computer name within the workgroup folders (by the way, I'm running XP Pro). But only one of them can access the others shared folders! When trying to access "PC A" from "PC B", I get this error message: \\PC A\SharedDocs is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the Administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found. I've checked to make sure the folder is shared on PC A. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
Sometimes you've got to prove to your friends that you're still worth a damn!

Comments

• Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Try creating an account for each user on both computers, make sure the passwords match. For example, if you have a user named "tech" with the password "exams" on PC A, that user should have the same password on PC B.
  • Options
    I tried doing what you said, but the problem still persists. I'm truely stumped. icon_scratch.gif I've been going through on both computers and making sure that the sharing options are set the same. Maybe I'm missing something small. Any ideas are appreciated.
  • Options
    planetdigicamplanetdigicam Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    On the flip side, can "PC A" connect to "PC B" and get files?

Are both members of the same Workgroup? I assume so.

Take a look at the Shared Folders in XP (R-click My Computer, Manage, Shared Folders). Does it show that the folder is shared correctly?

Have you tried giving the Everyone group full access? If do this and you are able to connect, you'll know it was something wrong with the permissions.

More times then not, in my experience, the account you are using to attempt to access the files doesn't have a password. Make sure both accounts have passwords.
  • Options
    PC A can get files from PC B

Both are members of the same workgroup

I'm about 95% positive that the folders are shared corretly within "My Computer, Manage, etc."

I can't find an Everyone group. The list of groups does not contain an "Everyone". Could be my fault.

Both accounts have a password. The same password.

Well, I'm going to install NetBEUI on both systems and see if that works. If it does, then that will tell me something (Although I'm not exactly sure what). Also, this might be of importance, but I'm not sure: I'm using the same WIN XP PRO disk on both computers, but PC B is not registered.
  • Options
    spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you type "everyone" the system will recognise the group and accept it.

When you right click the shared folder and go to shareing & security have you setup the share permissions and the NTFS permissions on both tabs??

I would set the share permissons to everyone > full and the NTFS permissions to everyone > full
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    of all stupid things to check, make sure the windows firewall is off. I had a similar scenario that cost me quite a bit of time. Comp A could get files and print to B's, but B couldn't touch anything on A. A had the firewall on....
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    If its a workgroup add the NWLINK protocol which is another form of netbeui on XP. Share the drives and add the same accounts on each computer as well. After that you should be good to go.