Options

Many people want to get into I.T. - I think I want to get out ....

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
... Trouble is, I am pushing 40 and it feels like I am stuck now ....

Anyone made the jump, re-learning at that age and actually made a career (again)?
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was 37 when I switched. Made a decent start in the 2nd career.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    What do you want to do? That affects the answer. I've changed fields 3 times in the past 11 years.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree it is turning out into a full house everywhere, at your age i thought that would be a benefit with all the experience maybe now become a manager, but on the other hand it will depend on the type of job you are looking to get into.
  • Options
    Becoming a manager is like trying to get a Network position without experience ;)

To make it even harder - I don't even know what I would want to do instead .. I think I am just tired of the mentality in IT, where appreciation is the lack of blame :)
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Being at that age as well, I would think and suggest Management/Director positions...
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Becoming a manager is like trying to get a Network position without experience ;)

To make it even harder - I don't even know what I would want to do instead .. I think I am just tired of the mentality in IT, where appreciation is the lack of blame :)

Well then, you can always jump into Healthcare... you'll always have a Job in that field... Lol
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Actually it is not too difficult to become a manager. In your career as a IT Professional have you overseen any projects and manage people? If so include that on your resume. You may also want to go back to school for Masters.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Do you like people? Because being in management that's the ultimate question you need to ask yourself.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Start out on your own jibba. You've got enough experience and knowledge to be able to work for yourself I reckon.

JabbaIT, how does that sound?!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    So if you don't like blaming go into pen testing / auditing and get paid to tell peoole what they are doing wrong.
  • Options
    Geek1969Geek1969 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I moved from restaurant management to IT Networking at 38. Been doing this for six years now and I still love it. Best move I ever made. That being said, I do not plan to be an engineer forever. Doing a few things to work toward IT management in a few more years myself.
    WIP:
    ROUTE
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Start out on your own jibba. You've got enough experience and knowledge to be able to work for yourself I reckon.

JabbaIT, how does that sound?!

lol not too bad. Having said that - I already made the decision that I won't be doing any permanent jobs after this one - will be contracting instead - at least I can move on when I am getting bored and I earn more money :)

If the money wouldn't be rubbish I would just open a pub ... :)

And yes, I do like people ... I just don't have anything to back me up as a manager.
  • Options
    But you have all those years of experience to back it up isn't that enough? maybe you should start taking on certs that deal with IT business management, don't you think that you would get a promotion any time soon at this point in your career.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    If the money wouldn't be rubbish I would just open a pub ... :)

And yes, I do like people ... I just don't have anything to back me up as a manager.
    I entirely can commiserate. At 48, I often have fantasies of being a furniture maker or tailor. I actually don't like people that's why I got into IT in the first place - to work with computers instead of people. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    But you have all those years of experience to back it up isn't that enough? maybe you should start taking on certs that deal with IT business management, don't you think that you would get a promotion any time soon at this point in your career.

There is a great book called "The E-myth" (The Entrepreneurial Myth). The author is a smart man, I can attest to that after being in management for almost a decade...I have seen first hand most of what he preaches in that book.

Getting to the point (and no offense JibbaJabba) he makes it clear the reason many small business's fail is because of one simple reason: Amazing technicians =/= amazing managers). A person who is generally very technical by nature and can solve almost any technical problem in there realm, will usually make a poor manager. They approach problems from a completely different angle.

People who feel there great technical skills are being underutilized in a job where they work for someone else will sometimes think of opening there own business where they can cut loose and really show the world how hard they can work and get paid for it as well. The problem is, they NEED someone to manage them and guide them and corral all that energy and enthusiasm and the love for there work.

This is more of a general "my $0.02" on this subject, not really aimed at helping Jibba (since I don't know Jibba at all, I cant possibly make that claim). But I am sure there are others (or will be) that will read this and have a thought like I explained above. Read the book, its short and cheap.

@Jibba how long have you been thinking of making this move?
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    I entirely can commiserate. At 48, I often have fantasies of being a furniture maker or tailor. I actually don't like people that's why I got into IT in the first place - to work with computers instead of people. icon_redface.gif

That's what i thought when i came into this industry but the reality turned against my thoughts because you pretty much have to work with people when you in IT, like working in help-desk you deal with people everyday or a field engineer you are also going to deal with people once you are dispatched to a site, i don't know what kind of job you do but on my end i am in a process of getting to know how to deal with people in a professional and friendly manner because i came into this industry with that kind of mentality, you will learn the hard way trust me.