Failed VCAP5-DCD again

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
Today was my second attempt at this mammoth beast of an exam. Concentrating for 4 hours and trying to keep the urge to pee at bay is just not humane. 100 questions, 94 multiple-choice and 6 scenarios again this time. 2 scenarios and a few of the other questions were repeated from my first attempt. I started off slow, did like 20 questions in the first hour, glanced at the clock and panicked, picked up speed and finished with 5 minutes to spare. I got close to passing, very close, ended up getting 291 with 300 needed icon_cry.gif

I think I did well on the many of the multiple choice style questions, but the scenarios I tell ya - THEY DO MY HEAD IN. 3 were easy (or easier), 2 were so confusing and lengthy that I didnt know where to start to be honest. They give you a myriad of things to trawl through, then the first paragraph is usually fluff to throw you off and not every scenario begins with a clean canvas (there are a few things already that you've got to work with). Seriously, I do not how to prepare for these apart from quickening my pace through the multiple choice questions and then leaving 20-25 minutes per scenario. In my 2 attempts at this thing, two scenarios have been easy, 2-3 mind-numbingly difficult and one just doesnt make sense. /rant

I can only schedule my 3rd attempt 15 days after VMware get notified of the failing score which usually takes 2-3 days, this gives me 15 + 3 at a minimum to rethink my strategy. Then there's only one testing center that does the VCAP's here, and if I were to attempt booking it today - the next available date is usually 10 or more days away. So I likely have a month before the next attempt.

The reasons behind twin failures are lack of experience, the length of the exam and the crazy Visio-esque questions. I can only do something about the third factor and that's what I am going to do. It's not so much as working with the design tool that is the problem, it's trying to make sense of what all is being asked. Like I alluded to before, I need to spare more time for them.

A very difficult exam guys, but if it was easy it wouldnt be worth working towards, would it? Back to the isolation of my study nook to keep pounding away. 3rd time's the charm!
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Bad Luck bud. You'll nail it for sure next time and we'll celebrate with virtual wine and cheese.

Great write up as well on both experiences, I'm spending heaps of time at the moment designing our new set up at work and using visio for all my plans, tell ya what, looking at other peoples drawings and thinking "That's really simple to do" and then attempting to get something done on a clean canvas yourself is really hard. Since making some up for my blog site, it's getting easier and easier to work with.

You're almost there. Keep at it. and best of luck!
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Tough luck. For what it's worth I thought the DCD was the hardest of all the VCAPs.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So close! Your right, if it was easy there wouldn't be any value to having the certification. Which is why its going to be that much more rewarding when you pass, then maybe we'll see Essendon's VCDX thread?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @kj0 - Thanks mate, there'll be a lot of feasting and drinking when I pass this - more drinking than feasting though icon_wink.gif

@dave - For sure man, it's the hardest exam by a long shot.

@tstrip - LOL man, the VCDX is the ultimate aim for sure but it's a long way away yet. It's one of the most elusive certs out there and it takes considerable experience to get there. Experience is what I lack, two years of administering vSphere doesnt make me even remotely ready for it. That doesnt mean I'll stop working towards the DX - the knowledge I'll gain along the way will be invaluable. It's more about the knowledge to me, the cert will be a bonus (okay I know, a huuuuge bonus!)

@Asif - cheers mate. Yeah I watched ET's video where he says that! One more shot at this and I'll spear it!

Thanks for reading and the vote of support guys!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kj0 wrote: »
    we'll celebrate with virtual wine and cheese.
    I am obviously in the wrong career field - we get neither wine nor cheese, virtual or otherwise, for passing exams.

Based on your write-up, it sounds like you're really close. I've heard the vmware exams are not to be taken lightly, and that even the VCP is quite difficult. I got faith in you, though, keep studying and labbing and working towards it - You'll get there!
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that, this is a tough cert indeed... It's also on my list of things to do next year. Unfortunately I need to do the ICM course before I can do any VCAPs.
    @redz - Just like you and Dave said, this is a difficult exam. Other people I've talked to also reckon the DCD was the hardest they've ever taken. VMware make it harder still by trying to trick you, on multiple occasions I had answer choices where only one word was different. Cheeky.

@TheProf - You'll do just fine mate. They didnt give you the vExpert title just like that, you definitely know the product.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    There is no worse feeling than being 100% confident in your ability, sitting for the exam, and coming across a question that seems like it was for a completely different topic. My MCTS was like that for me. I found myself reading a question two or three times and thinking "This isn't something I can even begin to understand."

BUT

Most of us have been in that situation. You guys helped me out, gave me pointers, and kept me going until I finally passed the damn thing. I cannot say I know what your exam is like, but I feel confident you will pass it given enough effort. Try, try again.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Finish strong. You got it next time.
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    @redz - Just like you and Dave said, this is a difficult exam. Other people I've talked to also reckon the DCD was the hardest they've ever taken. VMware make it harder still by trying to trick you, on multiple occasions I had answer choices where only one word was different. Cheeky.

@TheProf - You'll do just fine mate. They didnt give you the vExpert title just like that, you definitely know the product.

Thanks buddy :)

The vExpert I got for helping out the VMware community through forums, blogging, twitter, etc.. I am sure you can get it as well if you'd be interested.

For the DCD, that would be the type of certs I'd be looking to do simply because I really like the design aspect of virtualization, including storage. I like the difficult exams, makes it more interesting. I am sure on your next attempt you'll ace it... clearly it seems like a time management issue for most of us when doing the exams.

There are a few bloggers that wrote about their DCD experience and how they managed their time, maybe worth a look?
    Thanks for the comment @TheProf - I have had a look at more than a few blogs I tell ya! I have observed people attempting this test usually have substantial experience designing/implementing the product, something I lack. This wont stop me though, just makes it a little harder, that's all. And your right about time management, both the DCA and the DCD are more about time management than skills. 100 questions/3.75 hours, seriously...!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    DCD's a speed reading test. DTD is a multiplication exam. DCA is stuff you setup once, maybe, exam.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman