CCNP vs. CCNA Security as my next step

Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi everyone. I just started studying for my CCNA in September and hope to complete the certification in July of 2014. This is part of a two year plan to switch careers into networking.

I was hoping to get some feedback from current CCNA and CCNP holders about which would be better next step for someone new to networking. I have read several posts debating the value of a CCNP without having real experience. Would the same hold true for the CCNA Security?

My gut feeling is that the CCNA security might be more relevant to someone looking for an entry level position and I might be better off pursuing the CCNP after that. I know there is no definitive answer on this so I'm just looking for some feedback from anyone that might be a step ahead of me and has a little more real world knowledge to share.

Jon

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The main problem with having the CCNP with no experience is you end up being over qualified (certification wise) for low level gigs yet not enough experience for mid level gigs. It's not completely useless to go for the CCNP without experience, knowledge gained is always a good thing, just keep your expectations in check. Your time might also be better spent on other certifications that will help you break into that first role like the CCNA Sec you mentioned.

Are you moving from a non IT role into the networking field or another sector of IT? What is your current career?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am currently working in the printing industry that projected to continue declining for the foreseeable future. Our department is considered the default IT people simply because we work on computers. The company does not employ an actual IT staff or company.

This is what made me consider networking for my career switch. I have some exposure to networks but it is not very pretty. I figured I can utilize my skills while still employed and once I complete my associates degree I hope to switch to a full time networking position.

Thanks for your feedback. It is always appreciated. I feel like security will always be a priority so it can't hurt to go in that direction. It is to early to actually determine a career focus until I have had a chance to work in the industry for a while.

Jon
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    I actually asked someone (a senior person who makes hiring decisions) at a Cisco partner over here this exact question and he recommended that I did CCNP R&S before I did any additional CCNAs, and that is without me having any actual "CCNP level" real life experience. Another anecdote in favor of the "no experience CCNP" is that on an episode of PacketPushers Greg Ferro said that if he had to choose between a CCNP without experience who could talk intelligently about those topics, and a CCNA with two years of experience, he would lean towards the CCNP.

And then you have people on the other end of the spectrum who will disagree with this and argue that a cert without the equivalent experience is more or less useless and that they will always favor experience over certification.

Having studied CCNP Route for six weeks now, it's not hard to construct a scenario where the CCNA+experience guy might be useless, but the CCNP guy won't be. You just need to introduce some BGP.
    Well it seems there is a strong case to be made for either choice. I will continue to bounce around my options. I firmly believe that experience is invaluable but of course we all have to start somewhere.

At this point the certs are a way for me to make the case that I am truly interested in a network career. As I progress they will become an indication of how far I have gone in that career.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm sure I'll be around asking more questions for the next couple of years. This site seems to be active with knowledgeable members.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    I actually asked someone (a senior person who makes hiring decisions) at a Cisco partner over here this exact question and he recommended that I did CCNP R&S before I did any additional CCNAs, and that is without me having any actual "CCNP level" real life experience. Another anecdote in favor of the "no experience CCNP" is that on an episode of PacketPushers Greg Ferro said that if he had to choose between a CCNP without experience who could talk intelligently about those topics, and a CCNA with two years of experience, he would lean towards the CCNP.

And then you have people on the other end of the spectrum who will disagree with this and argue that a cert without the equivalent experience is more or less useless and that they will always favor experience over certification.

Having studied CCNP Route for six weeks now, it's not hard to construct a scenario where the CCNA+experience guy might be useless, but the CCNP guy won't be. You just need to introduce some BGP.

That is assuming of course the CCNA with experience did not learn anything on the job outside of the CCNA objectives in those two years which is highly unlikely in my experience. Just because a person only has a CCNA doesn't mean they are not an expert with a protocol like BGP.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    That is assuming of course the CCNA with experience did not learn anything on the job outside of the CCNA objectives in those two years which is highly unlikely in my experience. Just because a person only has a CCNA doesn't mean they are not an expert with a protocol like BGP.
    Yea, a lot of the time the CCNA guys are very good on some things and really lacking in core fundamentals in other things. It really depends on the opportunities they get.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I am personally going directly for the CCNP after getting the NA, because having that fresh knowledge in my head makes studying for the NP worlds easier. If I were to do another NA level certification, I would probably go with Voice if your looking for marketability - Tons of positions I see describe VoIP cross training preferred for candidates.

I looked at the CCNA Security course, and though there are a lot of good concepts, it didn't come off as being a great asset in terms of practical knowledge for the job unless you are specifically leaning towards security.
  • paq7512paq7512 Member Posts: 102 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Glad you started this thread, a lot of good commentary, I had the same question. I feel that the CCNP is more challenging and that you may be able to get the Sec with just fumbling around with things here and there. Either way study up and study hard. :)
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my experience when I was looking for junior networking positions with just a ccna I would always get the same things asked such as if I can work with ASDM the gui for the Cisco ASA firewall, create vpns, work with MS Visio, if I had knowledge of bgp and mpls. Since you said its your 2 year plan you could knock out the ccna sec within 2 months and dedicate the rest of the time to the ccnp. If you can get your hands on a trial version of MS Visio and play with it for a bit you should be solid.

I personally would say go for your ccna sec and get the lab book. Its easy to go from ccna to ccna sec since most of it was in the ccna. Build a lab on gns3 if you know how to or buy 1 or 2 Asa's 5505 and set up different scenarios. Also if you get your hands on more material maybe watch some videos on the 642-618. Once you get a hang of working with ASDM its not really a big deal. Then I say hammer away at the CCNP and dedicate the rest of the time really learning it. In between of your ccnp studies I say squeeze some Asa scenarios to keep you sharp. Also if possible watch some mpls fundamental videos so you have an idea how it works.

Only problem I have with listing the ccnp on your resume without having the experience and posting it on a job site recruiters will be hounding you calling you for senior positions which you won't be able to get. So if you do get your ccnp and still not have the experience I'd recommend not listing it on the resume and still to applying for ccna level positions and you can blow them away in the technical interview.

While everyone may have their own opinions this is stuff I wish someone would've told me 2 yrs ago it would have made finding a job a lot easier.
    I'm not sure I can bang out security in 2 months since I am working full time and going to school full time. After the CCNA which ties into my current school courses I am looking to continue with the Cisco on my own while finishing my Associates degree in Computer Science.

It does seem that studying either will keep the information fresh in my mind. This post has been very helpful. Great feedback on what employers were looking for. I'll have to look into MS Visio it is not something I have used before. I do plan on building a nice home lab. I figure I have several years at a minimum that I'll be studying for certifications and most importantly without previous experience I want to get a little hands on practice. I think it will be money well spent.

Jon
  • JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    I got my CCNA security then started on the CCNP right after. The CCNA Sec took like 2 months to complete, but the CCNP took almost a year for all 3 tests. I would get the CCNA Sec done first then hit the CCNP, but again that is the way I did it so YMMV.
  • joeypants05joeypants05 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Having CCNP R&S and CCNA sec I'd say to go from CCNA to CCNP as it flows very well. Especially with a 2 year plan I think this would work the best because you'd go from CCNA to CCNP and then to CCNA security (and hopefully further). This way the CCNP knowledge is going to be there and the CCNA security is going to be fresh in mind when doing interviews. Of course it wouldn't hurt to get Network+ but certainly not a big deal if you don't. Also a JNCIA would show a bit of diversity but to forewarn you Juniper is quite different so I'd look at that after the Cisco certs so that you don't trip yourself up.
  • dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_study.gif im currently doing my JNCIA then either security or CCNP, i can see where you could trip yourself up icon_thumright.gif, doing the exam this friday then going to start studying ccnp or security havent decided yet.
  • Sy KosysSy Kosys Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OP, thanks for posting this thread.

I was made redundant 4 months ago and turned this downtime into something positive, ICND1 in July and ICND2 in August. While I'm very tech savvy, I'm still a noob CCNA and finding the appropriate-level job rather elusive. Wife is on board with me going back to school in January, and I find myself asking your exact question...CCNP or CCNA Security. I want to follow the Security track because of all the nonsense going on with the world of late, and I believe Security and Voice are/will be rather indispensable certs. Classes start in January for CCNP Switch, but nothing for Security, so hmmmm.....

Anyways, don't wanna hijack this, just thanks again for reading my mind lol and thanks to the others for their input.
    "The size of your dreams must always exceed your current capacity to achieve them. If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.”
    ― Ellen Johnson Sirleaf