Options

Do I need to get a Bachelor's degree?

lawrence_of_arabialawrence_of_arabia Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
I really don't feel like it.

Comments

• Options
    MagnumOpusMagnumOpus Member Posts: 107
    I really don't feel like it.

Honestly after researching WGU, you really don't have an excuse not to have one. Get it done!
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Do you need a Bachelor's Degree for what? -What are you after here?
  • Options
    Thank you both for acknowledging the silly beginning to my thread.. I enjoy school and really enjoy learning. I made the mistake of going to trade school when I was younger for plumbing (which I hated), then got into IT about three years ago and absolutely love it.. The problem is that I am now in my late 20's, work full-time (and work is EXTREMELY busy), and make enough money to not be eligible for financial assistance, but don't make enough money to afford tuition on my own. The biggest obstacle is the amount of TIME I have in each day..... My question is this: do you really need a degree to make a lot of money and be successful in the IT industry? Does an impressive collection of certifications and experience weigh more? Certifications are so specific to what I am interested in learning and I can learn the material on my own terms. I have been chosen over college grads in my two most recent promotions (I interview very well, it's prob my strongest point). But how long will this last? After obtaining the vendor certs, how difficult will it be to reach the Engineer level without a degree?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes you can definitely make a lot of money and be successful without a degree. Experience is always king in this industry. That doesn't mean it won't be easier with a degree though. The more qualifications you bring to the table the better.

There will obviously be some companies that have a hard degree requirement, but would you really want to work for a company that values a piece of paper over what you can actually do for them? I know that is not the type of environment I'd like to work in.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MagnumOpusMagnumOpus Member Posts: 107
    Thank you both for acknowledging the silly beginning to my thread.. I enjoy school and really enjoy learning. I made the mistake of going to trade school when I was younger for plumbing (which I hated), then got into IT about three years ago and absolutely love it.. The problem is that I am now in my late 20's, work full-time (and work is EXTREMELY busy), and make enough money to not be eligible for financial assistance, but don't make enough money to afford tuition on my own. The biggest obstacle is the amount of TIME I have in each day..... My question is this: do you really need a degree to make a lot of money and be successful in the IT industry? Does an impressive collection of certifications and experience weigh more? Certifications are so specific to what I am interested in learning and I can learn the material on my own terms. I have been chosen over college grads in my two most recent promotions (I interview very well, it's prob my strongest point). But how long will this last? After obtaining the vendor certs, how difficult will it be to reach the Engineer level without a degree?

I'm starting to see that IT is a mixed bag. There are guys with HS diplomas and a few certs making great money. I don't think its necessary, but you will forever have people closing doors because you dont have one, no matter how smart you are. And thats just stupid.... Its just the world we live in. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    You can do very well without a degree, and in my opinion you sound like the type of person that would be able to pull that off.

Where a lot of people fail is they see not needing a degree as an easy way out that will net them the same results. In the end, if you want to be successful then you have to put in the effort one way or another. If you spent all the time/effort that a degree requires on gaining technical knowledge, certifications and experience instead you can do just as well.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A degree will open doors that otherwise would stay shut. But you don't need it to make a good living in IT.

Certifications WITH the ability to do the work you are certified in and do it well...you will not have a problem finding work in most places.
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I always say if you and I are on a level playing field in an employer's eyes, and I have that degree, then I have an edge to get the job. It's a major qualifier as you move up the ranks. Expect to have issues landing specific places and roles without one.

Saying you enjoy school and learning, there's not much of a reason then to avoid working on one! It's an opportunity cost to go for the degree - time, money, effort, etc, but in the end, the reward and achievement more than make up for it. Borrow if it's appropriate to pursue one. As you get older, it will be more challenging and more of a hassle than if you do it sooner than later.

BTW, its quite easy to network and meet people in your similar situation while attending school, which is also a motivator or can land you in different jobs based on who you know (did for me!).
  • Options
    ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    Yes. You should.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    You can do very well without a degree, and in my opinion you sound like the type of person that would be able to pull that off.

Where a lot of people fail is they see not needing a degree as an easy way out that will net them the same results. In the end, if you want to be successful then you have to put in the effort one way or another. If you spent all the time/effort that a degree requires on gaining technical knowledge, certifications and experience instead you can do just as well.

Great way of putting it.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Problem with this thread is I think everyone has a different version of "success".

What do you want and how do you get there? It may or may not include a bachelor's degree.
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    HR is obsessed with degrees, so yes if you want to get jobs where HR decides who gets a shot.
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    ...and make enough money to not be eligible for financial assistance...

I highly doubt that. Are you just assuming this, heard from a friend, or actually had your FAFSA denied?
  • Options
    clouderclouder Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No, but you may find that you want one after 12 years in the industry like I have. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    zrockstar wrote: »
    I highly doubt that. Are you just assuming this, heard from a friend, or actually had your FAFSA denied?

I received a grant for my first semester of comm college when I worked for Comcast tech support, making about thirteen bucks an hour.. Since then and making substantially more, I've applied for seemingly every type of financial aid/grant under the sun with the help of my mother (who is a professor) to no avail. I make decent money, but live such a lifestyle that will not afford me extra tuition cash, it's just what I choose. As I mentioned though, the bigger factor in all of this is the amount of time required and lack of flexibility full time college entails. Perhaps it will be the kind of thing that I hack at little by little as time/money allow. I have to make work and certifications the priority for now. Thank you all for the responses, all great points. I absolutely love this place for that reason. Funny, I don't even remember how I stumbled across TE to begin with, ha..
  • Options
    I received a grant for my first semester of comm college when I worked for Comcast tech support, making about thirteen bucks an hour.. Since then and making substantially more, I've applied for seemingly every type of financial aid/grant under the sun with the help of my mother (who is a professor) to no avail. I make decent money, but live such a lifestyle that will not afford me extra tuition cash, it's just what I choose. As I mentioned though, the bigger factor in all of this is the amount of time required and lack of flexibility full time college entails. Perhaps it will be the kind of thing that I hack at little by little as time/money allow. I have to make work and certifications the priority for now. Thank you all for the responses, all great points. I absolutely love this place for that reason. Funny, I don't even remember how I stumbled across TE to begin with, ha..
    The reason you get denied financial aid is because you're currently working. If you wish to go to school instead of working you simply need to fill out the normal forms and submit a change of income form stating you will be leaving your job on X date to pursue your education. This effectively zeros out your income and allows you to receive the same financial aid as someone without a job. The financial aid office at whichever school you're applying will be able to assist with this process if you need.

I'm not saying this is necessarily your best option, but rather if you want a degree you can get financial assistance to get one.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□

If the time commitment and cost are what is keeping you out, both can be mitigated if you really want to get a BS. Federal student loans are available to almost everyone, and you can qualify for around $10k/year in loans if you are part time (roughly 2 classes a semester).

Time is tricky, but not as hard to come up with as money. If you want it, you can make it work.

I'm not saying you don't want it nor am I saying you need it. I'm just pointing out the two obstacles you listed really are not as big as you might think.

edit: source of info ->Me. I just went through the loan process and I make (or made before coming to IT, but during the loan process) good wages. So did my wife. If we can get subsidized loans, then anyone should be able too. I work full time, commute 20 hours a week and have a baby to take care of. I also go to school full time. If you really want to do it, you can find the time.
  • Options
    VirgoCupcakeVirgoCupcake Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think it depends on where you live.

Since I live in washington,dc their man focus is those who have their degrees.

While the same jobs may be somewhere else and may accept the experience.

Here they want experience and degree.

Lots of jobs I applied for were not given to me because I didnt have no degree icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    BobMeadBobMead Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It really comes down to experience and certs can pave the way alot faster. In IT you really don't need a degree if you are content with being a senior level network engineer and making 100-150K. I know for me I am good with that salary and if I want to be in management someday then It may be a requirement. I also see alot of people who waste time and money in college just to work a help-desk job making 45K. The main thing I can tell ya is be epic study like crazy and lab networks servers and firewalls in your house like a mad man! This will give you a solid foundation and that is what really matters to get the next job.
    Press RETURN to get started

:roll:
  • Options
    Xonis1Xonis1 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think the cut off is like 45-50k or so worse comes to worse do a loan , check out WGU its 6 grand a year. You most likely can finish within 2 years and have your degree, certs and a managable student loan.

Depends on if you really want it.
    WGU BSIT:Software
    Start Date: Oct 1, 2013
    In Progress: TBP1 WFV1 EAV1 CLC1
    Transfered: AGCI GAC1 BVC1 (8 cu)
    Remaining:
    EDV1 BNC1 BOV1 BVC1 CJV1 CIC1 CRV1 CTV1 CUV1 CVV1 CWV1 DEV1 DHV1 DIV1 DJV1 IWC1 IWT1 CJC1 TJP1 TPV1 WPV1 EUP1 EUC1 TXP1 TXC1 TYP1 TYC1 EBV1 CDC1 CDP1 UBC1 UBT1
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes you should get a degree. It definitely opens more doors and opportunities.
    I started my degree when I was 29, I finished when I was 33. I also made about 90k at the time, and I was able to get financial aid. I ended up paying back the loan with my gi-bill (non post 9/11)
    I am currently in grad school taking 2 classes, working full time, have a family etc. I make much more than I did then, and I STILL qualify for financial aid, but rather than taking a loan I sold stock to pay for grad school.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Xonis1 wrote: »
    I think the cut off is like 45-50k or so worse comes to worse do a loan , check out WGU its 6 grand a year. You most likely can finish within 2 years and have your degree, certs and a managable student loan.

Depends on if you really want it.

Amen to this. Student loans are usually in the single digits for interest, and you get long enough to pay them back.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    BobMead wrote: »
    It really comes down to experience and certs can pave the way alot faster. In IT you really don't need a degree if you are content with being a senior level network engineer and making 100-150K. I know for me I am good with that salary and if I want to be in management someday then It may be a requirement. I also see alot of people who waste time and money in college just to work a help-desk job making 45K. The main thing I can tell ya is be epic study like crazy and lab networks servers and firewalls in your house like a mad man! This will give you a solid foundation and that is what really matters to get the next job.

That may be my favorite answer yet ^

I make more than 50K now and not working is not an option. I learn more at work than I have in school, at least thus far. WGU sounds like it may at least be worth a look though. I hear a lot of talk about it lately, especially here. Seems flexible and pretty inexpensive. What was said about HR and degrees, I totally agree with. It really sucks too. I have seen some of the dumbest people enter, and/or exceed my pay grade, simply because they have a degree. That's something that does push me to graduate, at least at some point. I will say this though- I was picked over someone with a degree for the job I currently work AND the only reason my res was pulled, according to the CIO, was because of Network+. Such a low-level certification gave me a chance to interview and get the job I wanted. That's got to say something about certs!
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    was because of Network+. Such a low-level certification gave me a chance to interview and get the job I wanted. That's got to say something about certs!

Its too out of context because you don't know anything about the other applicants in my opinion.
  • Options
    Polynomial wrote: »
    Its too out of context because you don't know anything about the other applicants in my opinion.

I know that at least one of them had a technical degree. When I got promoted at my last job, I was head to head for a promotion with my best friend there, who also had a degree.
  • Options
    CleverclogsCleverclogs Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it's any inspiration, I don't have a degree. I got my start in a PC repair shop, then moved to a bank and then just over a year ago moved to a much better bank. In fact, two days ago was 7 years to the day I started in IT :)
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm sure if you have a lot of experience and a lot of good contacts, you probably do not necessarily need a Bachelor's degree. I'm not lucky enough to have gotten a big break into the industry yet (I work at a low-level call center doing tech support), nor do I know anyone that works in the industry around where I live.

So with that in mind, I have every intention of pursuing a Bachelor's degree after I graduate in two months. I think the ROI will be more than worth it.
  • Options
    watermelonsswatermelonss Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think a BS degree is really really important in terms of having more options and broader knowledge. Plus, when people on this thread are saying "making great money w/o a degree in this field".. what exactly is this amount? 100k? by when?
  • Options
    I think a BS degree is really really important in terms of having more options and broader knowledge. Plus, when people on this thread are saying "making great money w/o a degree in this field".. what exactly is this amount? 100k? by when?

Essentially, I'm wandering if an engineer without a degree can make the same amount of money as an engineer with one. I pretty much assume that to go down the management path, you need a degree (management meaning C-level, IT manager, VP of tech, etc. and not, say a help desk manager), but is there really a 'glass door' in the technical field? It's a tough question that I'm not sure even has a black and white answer. Of course having a degree generally makes you more competitive, but if you already have good connections, technical skills, (SUPERB work ethic!) and certs, do you really need it to match up to the guy or gal with the degree? For that matter, does a lawyer even technically need a degree to be BAR associated?!?!?!?!
  • Options
    Yes, an engineer without a degree can make just as much or more than an engineer with a degree.

As far as management, it makes it easier with a degree, but still by no means a must have. I know plenty of managers without degrees or just an associate. I know directors without degrees. Never really asked any C level execs, but I'm sure they are out there.

No idea about lawyers man.