Options

Company asked me to bring pay stub to interview..

GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
I have a interview scheduled next week for a company as a Jr. Systems Admin position and I was asked to bring my pay stub to the interview. I never had this asked before in my career and seems like an odd request, what do you guys think? I would guess with that they could use it to lowball me or something.

Comments

• Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    I have never been asked that either, i would ask why they want to see it?
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    they will make you an offer slightly above what you are making now
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    What are you doing now before jr sys admin? Stupid question, but jr is above system admin level 1 right?, SA 1, jr. sr is the order?
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    They're just trying to play dirty. Go ahead and print out a fake one showing as much as you want :)
  • Options
    samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Seems weird to me as well. I have had companies ask for salary requirements and/or they request what my currently salary is. But never a pay stub.
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    By law you don't have to bring anything, you can sign a form where they can do a background check and call your current or former employer and ask what your salary is or was(varies from state to state if your previous employer is allowed to give that information). Without you singing any document stating they can dig through your background you don't have to give them anything and for just an interview?!?!?!?!? NO WAY! Tread lightly with places like that.
  • Options
    GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    I agree guys...sounds a bit too shady for me. I asked the manager why I should need to bring a paystub to the interview, he said HR requests them for all candidates and usually disqualifies candidates who don't bring "everything" (They asked for copies of all my certifications as well).

gbdavidx, From what I understand Jr. and level 1 Admin can sometimes be interchanged depending on the job responsibilities. I've seen jobs with just level 1 -2 -3 and some with just Jr or Sr. I usually consider level 1 the same as jr depending on the job description when applying to jobs. I'm currently doing NOC work atm.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Honestly you should say what you think you should be paid and be firm about it when it comes to negotiations. Even if they want knowledge of what you are currently making (and you aren't required by law to fess up), use objective reasoning of why you should be paid $X USD (certs, experience, market pay, COL, etc) and typically you should be able to overcome their attempts at cheap jabs.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Never been asked that ever. I would never submit to that.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Would have to be a pretty amazing offer...I don't even know if that is even legal for them to require or request that.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I have been asked for that before but not for an interview only after to verify my current employment since I preferred the didn't call my work to do so.

The other thing is also is they could be using it as a way to verify your current income if you specified it maybe? I agree it seems wierd but like the others said just stick firm to what you want.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Photoshop your paystub with increased pay.
    If they wanna play dirty then play dirty.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Honestly I wouldn't play their game. I would go there, explain that your current pay isn't representative of your current value and politely let them know if they wish to talk about pay that you're willing to.

It sounds like the beginning of them walking all over you otherwise.
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    I doubt this is a dirty tactic that everyone keeps mentioning.

They probably want to verify current employment.

Bring a copy of a paystub with all income amounts blacked out. Simple. If they ask or somehow want the monetary values, then the ball is in your court to ask why.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770

This appears to be the best course of action. You don't want to make an interview hostile but at the same time you need to protect your interests.
    Follow meat's advice.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bring a copy of a paystub with all income amounts blacked out. .

Very good suggestion ... I would still be confused myself as this is none of their business and confidential ... Here in the UK our payslips have Tax Code, Address, Name, NI Number (similar to SS) and all that - none of that would concern anyone from IT apart from HA who have signed a confidentiality clause.

In terms of money - I think most people here are asked how much they are on and most probably put the number higher than it is so you can have at least "the same salary" and still get a small raise.

At the end of the day - I always make sure I have a number in my head I NEED to get, otherwise I'd refuse and I always stick to it no matter what. Because let's face it - if you get less than you think you are worth or less than you want, you likely be looking for a new job as soon as you are frustrated for one reason or another.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    clouderclouder Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great suggestion by MeatCatalogue. That kind of request would be very off-putting to me, though.
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    How are your skills with Photoshop? icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I doubt this is a dirty tactic that everyone keeps mentioning.

They probably want to verify current employment.

Bring a copy of a paystub with all income amounts blacked out. Simple. If they ask or somehow want the monetary values, then the ball is in your court to ask why.

My thoughts exactly.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've been asked this quite a few times (more so before an offer than at the interview though). Still have had quite large salary increases, almost double once. Doubt it has much to do with low balling you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would agree with this one.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good point about verifying employment.

I experienced the low balling situation. Didn't realize it at the time, but years later found out what type of person they hired and what they paid him. They wanted experience, but didn't want to pay for it. Hired a college grad instead for $18,000 less then what I wanted.

I hope the people saying to fake a pay stub are joking. Good way to get fired later on if someone figures it out
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    clouderclouder Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say it as a joke, but it really is none of their business. A former co-worker once said, "you don't need to know what I make, you need to know what I want to make"
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would pass on a company like that. I had a recruiter get a little angry with me because I said I would not give my paystub to the interviewing company, and declined to meet with them based on them asking for that.
  • Options
    Curious why you would pass? Pretty standard procedure for most larger companies I've worked for.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797

I have never heard of a company asking for this, but the most obvious thing to do would be to ask, "Why do you need that?"

BTW, my standard line for HR and recruiters is this:

"I do not have a firm ‘salary requirement'. Once I fully understand the opportunity and we mutually determine that I am a good fit for the position, I am confident we can negotiate a reasonable salary. What salary range do you have budgeted for the position?"
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In my case they asked my salary requirement, then asked for my pay stub. Its not how much I made before, its how much I want to go work for another company. I took it as them not only not believing I made what I made, but also not thinking I was worth what I wanted.
  • Options
    From my understanding this is simply an HR requirement for employment verification and has little to nothing to do with the pay band for the position you are applying to. I think people here get a little too paranoid that people are out to screw them.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    QHalo wrote: »
    Never been asked that ever. I would never submit to that.

This, I agree!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Good thread with nice creative solutions. I am looking forward to the update on why they want it. Although I would definitely fight against providing the copy, if it is something I really like I would do the blackout thing.