Options

Turning a Physical Win 2008 R2 into a Virtual Appliance

sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
I'm using VMware workstation Stand-Alone package to turn a physical Win Server 2008 R2 into a usable VM appliance.
The source and destination part is getting me here.
It seems using keyword "localhost" doesn't cut all the way through. Does the shared folder have to be in my local drive for that matter?
For ip, am I using the simple private IP that my nearest DHCP has given me? But what if I have more than one interfaces that have two or three different private ip addresses?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    It all depends on where your running VMWare Converter:

If you're running it on the machine that you want to convert, select "this local machine" as the option.

If you're running it on a remote box, enter the IP address of the machine you want to convert and enter admin credentials. Multiple IP doesn't matter as long as you can reach any one of the interfaces that are opened enough to let converter through.

You shouldn't need to use localhost as an option. For IP configuration, Converter will convert the detected number of nics to virtual nics which you will map to whichever network label corresponds to your ESXi/Workstation/Fusion network configuration.