Options

The future of security?

5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
Just out of curiosity what do you think the future of security is....I work security for DOD and it is becoming very software driven, we are also getting more into encryption/crypto than ever......what is your take, if you were going to specialize in one or a few areas of security where would it be?

Comments

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Software driven in what ways? For an organization with certain high fidelity malware indicators a reimage can be pushed, but IMO true thorough incident response cannot be scripted. That's what I'm currently refining my skills with.

Long term I'd like to get into threat intelligence.
  • Options
    samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally really like forensics and incident response. I brought those skills (especially the forensics) to a security team where I work, that really has never had them before. It seems to be working out for me.
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Quantum routing!!!
  • Options
    010101010101 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hard to say. People will laugh, but security could go out the window with the cloud... Just like most of IT.
    I do pen-testing against small companies.
    If they no longer have servers, what remote ports am I hitting?
    If they're running hosted VDI, do they even have the authority to allow me to try a client-side attack?

I just talked to Verizon yesterday about switching ISPs at work.
    The sales guy said they have new offering he wanted to tell me about.
    'Cloud Firewalls' where they filter traffic and open ports before they hand off the connection to my internal router.

So the future of security? I don't know.
    All of IT could be in trouble in 5-10 years IMO.

If most companies are on the same 4-5 cloud providers, there's not much need for security guys(or IT staff).
  • Options
    SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Encryption does not change.
    Only the size of keys :)
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Well obviously the DOD is well in to their "end to end" security as opposed to just hard on the outside, squishy on the inside. So things like HBSS/IDS/IPS, vulnerability scanning to remediate, building baseline secure images and deploying them, maintaining their PKI infrastructure, 2 factor authentication for network gear and more, and encrypted hard drives are all standard of the DOD these days. I'd say beyond these measures and measures like it, you're obviously looking at developing your red/blue teams for incident and pen testing, auditing, etc. There are other encryption devices in place obviously but I won't speak to them. So if you're saying...what is the future of security? It's the same it's always been...develop the individual to understand op sec, secure procedures, and operate accordingly.

So uh...the answer is replace human workers with robots/computers and eliminate the chance they don't mess up.
    ;)