Options

Thoughts on the Security+ exam?

GLaDOSGLaDOS Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I am reviewing my studying for the CompTIA Security+ SYO-301 exam. I've read Darril Gibson's book which was very well written, studying the key notes multiple times, reviewed all the practice questions, and bought some additional questions to review with. I've also supplemented some of the material with the Professor Messer series.

I just wanted to see what everyone thought of the exam? I've already completed the A+ and Network+ and was wondering how Secuirty+ stacked up to it - easier, harder, or about the same?

As always, I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback.
"Tahiti is not in Europe. I'm going to be sick."

Comments

• Options
    samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I honestly I think there is a lot of overlap. When I took the Security+ there were a few questions that were similar to the A+. I imagine there would be more overlap between the network+ and the security+. I have not ever taken the network+, but have taken Security+, CCENT, and the CISSP. Security is something that is implemented into computers, networks, applications, models, business, etc. So I take it more as a mind set than anything else.

I hope this makes sense.
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A+ and Network+ are more technical than Security+. The knowledge from Network+ is useful but Security+ could be passed without it. It is advised to have more experience but some people find technical exams easier, some find conceptual exams easier.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    This is a test that focuses on test taking skills. Key points are as follows:

It is largely multiple choice (sans a few performance based questions).
    Often times there is extraneous information to throw you off.
    Focus on the key word(s) of the question.
    Read the question once then review the answers--often times you can group and eliminate potential answers without even reading the question.

I haven't taken A+ or N+ but S+ is like a vocab test. It sounds like you are well on your way. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I guess I'm just getting the pre-test nerves lol. My exam is tomorrow. I feel pretty solid on most of it - when I do the practice questions the ones that trip me up are the port numbers which I am memorizing tonight, and the different protocols and sometimes the types of attacks. So that's my night tonight lol.

Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback. Here's to hoping for the best!!
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck...don't go too hard tonight because generally the day before doesn't help that much.
  • Options
    Yeah I know, it's so easy to feel like you have to though.

I'm just going to review the things that gave me a hard time, memorize the port #s i always forget, and then do some questions.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Not sure when you took the A+ and Network+ exams, and if they had the new performance based questions on them. If not, make sure you read about them so that they don't surprise you.
  • Options
    Darril wrote: »
    Not sure when you took the A+ and Network+ exams, and if they had the new performance based questions on them. If not, make sure you read about them so that they don't surprise you.

Too late, haha. Thank you for trying to give me the heads up. They definitely surprised me but using your book and practice questions as my main studying tool I was still able to pass!! icon_cheers.gif I scored an 825!

Thank you everyone for all the great advice and encouragement! It really helped me a lot!

I'm not sure what I'm going to pursue next. I have to spend some time teaching myself XML and SQL for work, so that will take up my time for a bit. I'm thinking of maybe going after the Windows 7 MCSA or possibly even the CCNA. But I haven't made any decisions yet and am still looking at other options.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job on the pass!
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats on the pass. Good luck on whatever you decide to pursue next.